Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife pulls on my column and breaks it.

Wife pulls on my column and breaks it.

Hello folks,
    I noticed a little fore and aft movement on my HX Sandman steering column when I pulled on my steering wheel, so I and decided to ask my wife for some assistance. Being married for 35 years I thought she was the perfect person to pull on my colum while I watched the back and forth movement.

I opened the bonnet and positioned myself so that I could see my column and asked her to give it a pull, stupid me didn't say how hard and she pulled it that hard that a gap of about 10mm was created between the part the steering wheel is attached to and the part of the column where the indicator is positioned.
    My wife was in a complete panic trying to push it back in, but alas the damage was done and I was in a state of complete shock, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as she had almost torn my column out with her bear hands.

After the panic and disappointment of breaking my favorite toy had subsided I consulted Dr Google and it appears that the soft metal holding the upper bearing into the honeypot has been damaged and I am up for a replacement honeypot. I have however been able to centralise the column and push it back into place, completely closing the gap completely. The steering feels as it should and I am confident that unless I pull on my column again, everything is back to normal.

My questions are:
    1. Would it have been 100% the upper bearing that caused the gap,
    2. Now that it is repositioned (pushed back in) should I risk driving it,
    3. Does anyone have a really good HX honeypot with a known good upper bearing they are willing to sell,
    4. Does anyone have an idiots guide video of how to replace the honey pot?

Cheers,

Banned
    It's all here
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...eering+columns
    Good luck.
    There's nothing worse than your wife pulling on your column and breaking it....

Hello wbute,
    Thanks for the link, I have read the post a few times now and I am still unsure as to what i have damaged, if anything, since I have been able to align the column and push it back into its original position.
    Cheers,

Banned
    Sounds like the top bearing from the thread. You probably need to pull it apart and have a look. Either way, they don't like force either up or down.
    Maybe someone else has more idea. But I really think you need to pull it apart. It's a fairly important part of the car...

I'd say it's the shear pin that has been broken. This is the collapsible part of the column.
    You can drive them broken, but I would 100% recommend you pull it all apart and find out where any issues are.

pull steering wheel off, unscrew canceling cam and indicator stalk. then you thread large steering nut back on and sit there moving in and out, u and down. you should see if play is somewhere in pot ie C clip or bearing - if not, you've got much bigger probs like innerz has suggested
    BQZ

Thanks Vombil, I will take your advice and remove the steering wheel and go from there.
    Cheers,

Sounds like you entire car is buggered, but I will take it off your hands to save more expense

Thanks for offer maxsandman, it might just be easier to give it to you.

Thanks for that

How are you doing with your column?

Thread Information