Quote Originally Posted by Beachy View Post
    Never liked the early tail lights
    Fair enough i went from Hz to WB in the 90s it was the thing to do
    but there long gone now back to Z this time

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Fair enough i went from Hz to WB in the 90s it was the thing to do
    but there long gone now back to Z this time
    Only till the next gen that thought HQ-HZ were the busted a^*e series. I was talking to a mate the other night that sadly remembered how he could only afford a HZ. He really wanted a WB but they were too dear

I'm always for modifying as I'm a custom Vanner child of the 70-80's and so long as it was a modification from stock it was a great idea! It was about personalising your Van.

So even I though it was a good idea to put WB tail lights in everything way back then. But today looking back at styling they are pretty awful plastic (lipstick on a pig smudged outside the lines) and really do take their ugliness from the same designer as the UC Sunturd tail light. It just wasn't a great time in styling trying to make old models modern and really that's why it was the end of both of them. So today I see the point in using the WB and making look earlier. That said, I also see the point in rarer models retaining their real factory look. I.E: factory specs if they (the cars) deserve it due to rarity, survivor condition, combinations, books etc. Point is though; unless it's a Sandman no point talking up something that's it's not.

For some reason back then (and even kids today fall into the trap) that newer or if it costs more to purchase it must be better regardless. Age and time tells us we get smarter with life education and we know in hindsight that is pretty much bullcrap!

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    .... really do take their ugliness from the same designer as the UC Sunturd tail light.
    Yep, I agree (although I know nothing about the designer, perhaps it was a team decision?) but its a really obviously similar update and yeah personally I'm not a fan. However, I also have observed that one or two people slightly younger than me (perhaps just a few years behind) see UC tail lights as being classic! Strange.

Anyway they easily leak in UC, and fill up with water - so you get that gold fish bowl effect driving around with the tail light a third full of water..... perhaps most interesting at traffic lights!

LH-LX tailights are recessed, and like HQ-HZ, I reckon its a way better design. I personally prefer the original look of em too, for a driving vehicle.
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 11-06-2017 at 03:10 AM.

Welcome to the forums Axistr. Great to see a new build and where you go with this.
    I've moved this thread so you have a perma place to update your project.

Thanks Blocker,

It seams to be 50/50 on the WB verses the HZ. Just a couple of questions for the experts. Was the 5lt engine option available in the commercials or only in the statesman series. and how rare is a V8 4 speed with power steering and GTS interior on WB commercials ? What numbers do you think were built in the configuration that I have. Is it really a rare van or not.

I love building cars but unfortunately when this one is eventually finished I will have to put it up for sale as I already have to many cars according to my wife. So I don't know what the best resale would be, the WB or HZ clone. I know panno's have really starting to increase in value in recent times, not that I will cut any corners but I already have all the HZ stuff and would need to hunt down WB front panels which would add to the rebuild costs. What do you think would be the difference between the WB original speck and HZ combo.

Thanks for all your comments and inputs,

Lenny.

If its a WB with all those factory options leave it WB dont make it something its not
    imho

- - - Updated - - -

There was a few 5 litre WB commercials around now they are rare
    nobody can tell you build numbers for these cars
    would say there wouldnt be to many left with that combo

If I see a wb for sale with an early model front I move straight to the next ad to me it would be like putting wb taillights on my Hx sandman . There were a few 1 tonners with 308 moters no vans or utes I don't know how many had power steering but it wasn't common in Utes back in the 80s you see a lot more now with power steering it was commen for kingswood ute to have all the good stuff very rare in a van are you sure it's original that's how rare it was

Banned
    There was heaps of Utes with the sports dash, V8 and 4 speed. Not so many with P/S and factory air. I have an old magazine and they tested a new WB Kingswood. It had V8, P/S etc in it. Vans would have been less common though I assume as the whole craze was done and dusted and there was no Kingswood option. It's only common in the Kingswood Utes, not really the standard ones.
    5 litre wasn't officially available in the WB commercials. But if I know people who said they saw a handful of one tonners with one. A WT code 5 litre block is about the rarest Holden block as a consequence.
    No one can tell you what will be worth more. It excludes more potential by modifying though because V8 WB vans are unusual.
    If you decide to pass on the project, let me know. I have everything hanging around here to put it back to standard. I might be interested.
    Last edited by wbute; 11-06-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Thread Information