Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Axistr new project

Got around to stripping back the roof to bare metal last week. Deoxidine and coated in a nice coat of Chamois epoxy prime paint for you Jeza. Roof was in very good nick under all that old primer, and the gutters were perfect (bonus). I treated all the tiny rust pits three times, buffed with a nylon scotch brite pad then deoxidised again, so I'm confident it isn't going to come back and bite me. The weather was good for painting today I have to be careful with humidity and temperature when spraying in the shed, a booth would be nice but I will just make good with what I have. Underside of the bonnet, tailgate and roof are all in Hi-fill, so hopefully I'm getting close to finishing the body repairs. I have to attack the scuttle tray outer ends which isn't a biggie. However every time I double check the body there seams to be something I am not 100% happy with and end up doing a tiny repair. I hate being fussy but it gets the better of me every time, so small a defect they most wouldn't pick it, just got to do it till I am happy, peace of mind.

DSC_0007_2[1773].JPG

DSC_0009_1[1771].JPG

DSC_0008_1[1772].JPG

DSC_0011_1[1770].JPG

DSC_0013_1[1767].JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gee that body is clean and dry, where did it grow up....Oodnadatta?

I assume the only thing blue that will be used is the ****ing tape!!

Blue victor still no official release on the finished colour yet.

Hopefully my son will be over during the week to help do the final alignment of all the front panels before I strip it all down again. Then I can finish the scuttle try area. Now that the bonnet is ready to go on and ensure correct alignment I though I better fit the bolts that bolt the guards to the body from inside the car behind the kick panels.

The van was stripped out when I bought it so not sure what Holden used to retain the top bolts. and can't find anything in the big box of bolts that come with it that resembles what I am after. The other two bolts in each side use J-nuts for easy fitment of the bolts, but the J-nuts won't fit to the guard for the top hole bolts. See photo of the inner section of the guards. Hopefully one of you guys know what's supposed to be used to secure the bolt.

DSC_0015_1[1775].JPG

Hard to tell but mine appears to not have a bolt in that hole. (And it looks as though there’s only one hole, although my guards are on and this is all through phone camera).

From memory this bolt was used in HQs, & I cant remember any other model that had a bolt there, just a empty hole. It must have been decided not necessary after that

cheers
    Max

Banned
    I just pulled the front off an old HX Ute. No bolt was going from inside the cab.

Well that's weird there's three holes in the body each side where the bolts go through from behind the kick panel. I've fitted the two lower bolts with the cup washers and rubber seals. Might have to put a nut and bolt in the top hole or I will have water getting in. No biggie but I will have to get the wife to hold a spanner on the outer nut.

Banned
    Maybe they were missing from mine before I got to it.

Leadfoot
    I have spoken to Ron BARCLAY the HQ ute master and he advises the following.
    The top bolt has a threaded hole where it goes already and is a fair mongrel to get at. The lower two use "J" nuts on the panel and rubber washer cup bolts on them to stop water.
    He has seen many vehicles missing the top bolt as the assembly line process slowed down when it come to fitting it. Obviously some plants they didn't bother with the delay.
    He says it doesn't matter as many of his restorations didn't need it. Hopefully you don't damage your knuckles.

Thanks for the info Greg, I don't like the idea of having two 5/16" holes in the fire wall and a chance of letting hot/cold air or water in. I'll put a bolt and nut in with a cup washer & rubber. knowing my luck a mud wasp would get in and give me an unsuspecting bite. The wasps around my place seem to like holes around 5/16" it must be their favourite size.

Thread Information