Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Axistr new project

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwivan View Post
    More pics of the double rubber please.
    Side on picture would be great.
    And what exactly is the double rubber shape look like.and where did you purchase?
    I have the same issue with our tailgate.

Cheers Kiwivan
    Gday Kiwivan, see attached photos of the rubber.

As you can see in the side section view the rubber is double lipped. I decided to fit the rubber between where the body rear quarters join the rear upper section of the beaver panel. In the photo showing the rubber attached you can see the slight step where the body joint are which allows the rubber to sit in eliminating a large step between the body and rubber,(no gaps either side where the step is and rubber ends). The double lipped seals perfect all the way along the length perfectly. Hope the above makes sense.

I picked up the rubber from The Old Auto Rubber Company, Penrith N.S.W cost me $9.00

DSC_0118[3334].JPGDSC_0120[3330].JPGDSC_0119[3331].JPG

Now I have all the glass in I decided to give it a wash and polish out a few marks from the machine buff. When I chamois around the front headlights the paint wiped off the new headlight surrounds. Just bloody lucky again, I get a bit cranky when I have to constantly fix, modify or repair new parts to get them to an acceptable level.

I recently ordered two new rear bumperettes for the van, I decided to remove them from the packaging to check them before leaving the shop just to make sure. When unwrapped we found the chrome flaking in strips from one bumperettes and a dent in the other. The parts shop ordered me two more which took two weeks and another round trip. Anyway rather than do the two and a half hour round trip again to take them back only to get two more that probably haven't been painted correctly either, I decided to just repaint them myself. The new headlight frames from factory were top coat painted on the shiny surface, no etch primer used. I masked them up, sandblasted, etch primed and top coated. Took me three hours.

DSC_0123[3345].JPGDSC_0125[3346].JPGDSC_0128[3342].JPGDSC_0127[3343].JPGDSC_0130_1[3344].JPG

Annoying. Very close to finished now by the looks of it. Home straight

As with any project of this type, when you're 90% finished, you only have 40% left to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzigully View Post
    As with any project of this type, when you're 90% finished, you only have 40% left to do.
    That’s so true!
    And yes I have struck this problem with new parts often.
    Quality control is nonexistent.

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Glad it was on a small and easily removable part where you found the paint issue. Van looks very good. Cheers

Sometime, early 2000's I bought a pair of Taiwanese headlight surrounds, (from memory around $25-30 for the pair) (they were only available in chrome at the time) & threw them in a cupboard somewhere in the shed. Haven"t seen those ones for years now, I'll have to go for a look seeing you have jogged my memory. Im thinking maybe someone bought up a heap of those & painted black on them without any preparation.

Bugger, inflation they cost me $125.00 each and come packaged with scratches crapes and paint defects included for that price.

Leadfoot
    I have just recently had a set of headlight trims from rare spares do exactly the same, first wash and the black came off all around the edges!

I managed to get the brakes done this week, overhauled front & rear. New cylinders & shoes, pads, wheel bearing and seals. I stripped, sandblasted and fitted new caliper kits. Lucky the caliper pistons were ok.
    I measured the front rotors thickness which were still within limits to machine. So I went down to my old workshop and asked to use the brake lathe. I just couldn't believe how much the new owner have neglected this business, workshop and gear. I still own the premises and rented it when I sold the business. I spent 1/2 hour to unseize the mount cones so I could mount the disc. This machine cost me lots of money when I purchased it and I don't think its been cleaned or serviced since I left. Grrrrrrr makes me so mad after being so pedantic with the way I kept and run my workshop.

DSC_0133[3415].JPGDSC_0134_1[3430].JPG

Before and after front brakes. Its hard to believe how original this van is, the front rotors look to be original. The van was a country car and is only showing 142,000 on the speedo, so its defently possible that most of the brake components are original. The front wheel bearing defently looked original and past their use by date. The bearing markings were Timken Australia, haven't seen that on a bearing for a very long time.

DSC_0135_1[3431].JPGDSC_0136_1[3420].JPGDSC_0138_2[3433].JPGDSC_0148[3421].JPG

I have gone through the wiring and removed any untidy and unwanted wiring. Hopefully pick up the door and seat covers next week so I can finish off the interior.

DSC_0149[3422].JPG

Thread Information