Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Axistr new project

Yep your not wrong and I didn't buy it to try and make a huge profit. I was helping out a mate at the time Building cars is my hobby and enjoy doing it, but I wont build a car and sell it at a loss either. I am helping a mate that needed the money and space. I will drive it for a while and enjoy it for a short period before I put it on the market.

I am semi retired and now have the time to enjoy it more. I had an original HJ Sandman in my teems and is one of the cars I regret selling the most. My current SLR was an original SL 6cyl trimatic all original 83,000 km which I purchased off the original owner. She bought the car new when she was in her fifties, at eighty four she had trouble steering it without power steering and sold it to me for $6,500 four years ago. I put an injected 5lt 6 speed tremic and a Salisbury LSD. Full LX SLR body kit and interior. All up the car cost me $48,000 to build. I had a ridiculous offer 12 months ago of $100,000 and I said yes but my wife said not. I will properly never get an offer for it like that again but it just shows what people will pay for well built cars even if its only a replica. The person that offered the money purchased an 4.2 SLR which he is restoring and the bill is already over $100,000 and its not finished yet. If you cant do most of the rebuilding yourself these days your always going to loose money on the resale in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    You don't "Make" money restoring cars. Going original WB may minimize your losses, but then again a nice HZ replica can pull $35k these days and might sell easier.

Banned
    It's the 25th of October. No I in the codes so K is October.
    Unless you have original documents with the original engine number it's always going to be unknown anyway. But it could be the correct donk.
    Should make a nice car out of it. It will stand out that's for sure. A big set of B45 polished Simmons wheels on it would look unreal I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    It already has over here in the west
    You're not wrong. Every time I see an absolute bargain on gumtree I click the map and it's in WA.

I decided to start from the bottom and work my way up. Cleaned and rubbed back the underside and give it a coat of GMH black. Replaced all the lower control arm bushes, sandblasted and repainted, new idler arm and sway bar bushes. The front end is 100% I am surprised how good this van is mechanically and body. I will just keep chipping away at it. A long way to go. Sorry not real good photos from my phone.

DSC_0179[507].JPGDSC_0180_1[509].JPGDSC_0178[508].JPGDSC_0181_1[510].JPG

DSC_0003[549].JPGDSC_0005[552].JPGDSC_0007[551].JPG

Carried out a few more repairs. Made up new brake lines. I made a tool to straighten the bundy tube some time ago which comes in very handy, and I have a flare tool makes the job very easy. Next job is to rub back the diff housing and give it a fresh coat of paint.

I like your bundy tube straightener. I have the same flare tools and they are great.

Bugger, I removed the heads thinking I only needed to reco the heads, but the inlet manifold gasket was leaking and water has entered number 8 cylinder which has badly pitted the bore. So its out with the engine and send the block out for a rebore. Still standard bore size, looks like I will be doing a full rebuild on it now.

1500345887445.jpg

Nice one , no windows is great !!

While the engine block is out for rebore I started on some painting and overhauling some components, wiper motor, fan motor, heater core and new clutch

DSC_0039.JPG

Still waiting for the block to come back, luck I'm not in a hurry. There isn't much rust to repair in the body and the last body part to repair is above the right inner tail light panel. The previous owner has put a door light switch on the upper tailgate which has allowed water to enter and rust the panel, bugger of a spot to repair but all done.

Not sure if you can buy hinge repair kit for the tailgate so made new pins and bored the old hinges to suit. I had to cut the hinges off the old tailgate to get the bolts out. Soaked the hinges in diesel for two days to get the screws to move with an impact driver

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG DSC_0052.JPG DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG DSC_0058.JPG

Thread Information