Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Rob's HZ Ute Shop Truck....

Banned
    Is the AC draining properly? The plenum can be rusted underneath as well, hopefully not though.
    That aftermarket AC (have they cut the back out of the glovebox) is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Is the AC draining properly? The plenum can be rusted underneath as well, hopefully not though.
    That aftermarket AC (have they cut the back out of the glovebox) is a pain.
    Plenum is perfect from what I can see and feel.... I had a torch in there and it all looks good but there might be a pin hole.
    The brochure with the ute says the air is factory fitted but it's not the same as my WB has and yes, the glovebox is smaller. One of the sliding cable operated vents is seized and it may be the one that goes to the plenum too. I'm thinking that the real answer is to pull the air con out.... it probably doesn't work anyway and I'm not going to spend a fortune on it to get it working.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Banned
    It' will be dealer fitted or later. The integrated air is the same from HQ to WB. It is the same as in the Statesman.
    I bet that they have disturbed the vent when they installed it but I think you will have to have a closer look.
    Both those cables are deleted with factory AC. The entire right vent is deleted and a cover plate blocks the hole.
    Last edited by wbute; 05-07-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Cruiser
    It' will be dealer fitted or later. The integrated air is the same from HQ to WB. It is the same as in the Statesman.
    I bet that they have disturbed the vent when they installed it but I think you will have to have a closer look.
    Both those cables are deleted with factory AC. The entire right vent is deleted and a cover plate blocks the hole.
    There is a lot of confusion about the terms "factory air' & integrated air'. Also what does the term 'integrated' mean ?

Firstly, the unit that is being spoken about in the above posts is genuine GM-H accessory air con, which was fully integrated into the dash & was usually dealer fitted pre-sale. So it is 'factory' in the sense that it is a genuine part, supplied by GM-H & it is 'integrated' in that is built into the dash, exiting the face level vents, but it is not fitted at the factory & it is not integrated into the heater/demister to become a combined HVAC system as seen in more modern cars.

The system seen in many HQ-HZ Statesmans (BTW it wasn't standard equipment in the Deville, only the Caprice) is the factory-fitted GM unit with the big black Delco A6 compressor. These were quite expensive in the day & dealers were reluctant to order cars for stock with this unit fitted, hence the introduction by Holden of the dealer-fitted unit. So if you wanted air con in say an HZ Premier you were offered a choice of the more expensive GM Delco system & waited several weeks (or even months) for your new car to arrive or have the cheaper GM accessory kit fitted. With this second option, your new car would be ready for delivery within days & you lost the back half of your glovebox, but it was cheaper.

Dr Terry
    Last edited by Dr Terry; 05-07-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Banned
    To me, integrated is an AC system that was designed specifically to suit a particular car, which did not compromise the car. The dealer fitted one is not really integrated is it, you now had two fans with two seperate controls. They had to destroy the glove box to fit it. You would have been spewing if they fitted that system into your new car. The other one they must have fitted heaps, was the one that goes in front of the console. They seemed to chop the front of the console off for them.
    I guess the dealers fitted whatever was cheapest, not the best.

Holdens have never really had good air con systems back in the day as far as i remember
    You live on the coast Rob wtf do you want air con for

Cruiser
    To me, integrated is an AC system that was designed specifically to suit a particular car, which did not compromise the car. The dealer fitted one is not really integrated is it, you now had two fans with two seperate controls. They had to destroy the glove box to fit it. You would have been spewing if they fitted that system into your new car. The other one they must have fitted heaps, was the one that goes in front of the console. They seemed to chop the front of the console off for them.
    I guess the dealers fitted whatever was cheapest, not the best.
    I totally agree, the HX-HZ dealer unit is a compromise, but by definition it is still 'integrated'. Also there are many factory integrated units out there, with 2 separate blower fans.

The older under-dash type unit, which was the type where the console gets cut (if the car has one) were a much better air conditioner in the performance sense, they just looked bulky.

I spent over 40 years fitting & repairing car air conditioning & yes, most people (especially dealers) worried about price before they looked at quality or performance.

Dr Terry

I've spent some dollars this last year to recommission my WB Caprice A/C in the 1 Tonner and it was a worthwhile exercise...if expensive. I love the dry climate controlled air in the cab (slide the heater knob back and forwards with A/C on) as it makes the old car much more pleasant as a daily driver. The A/C man fitted a modern compressor and that works a treat for cold air without stalling the engine when its turned on...

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Holdens have never really had good air con systems back in the day as far as i remember
    You live on the coast Rob wtf do you want air con for
    I'm not interested in any way in having AC in the ute, but it is already there and I hate the idea of removing something that might work without much effort.... Then I have to replace it with something else or delete it totally which means no heater.
    Donna and I went to a mate in our van clubs place for a BBQ last night and we took the ute..... bloody cold drive home without a heater so I need something in it, even if just for a demister.....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Banned
    The heater should work without the AC. Put up some photos of the system.

Thread Information