Thread: Alternator light staying on....

Alternator light staying on....

Ever since I picked my white van up after the respray the alternator light stays on when the motor is running.
    It's charging 14.2 volts at idle, but the light won't go out regardless of revs or speed while driving.
    Someone mentioned it might be full of dust.... the engine was really dusty.

Any ideas?
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Make sure the battery earth wire not only goes to the engine but that the small lead is earthed to the body. Typically the radiator support panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Make sure the battery earth wire not only goes to the engine but that the small lead is earthed to the body. Typically the radiator support panel.
    Yeah... It is and I've checked everything I can think of.
    My first thought was a bad earth but I think I've got that covered..... it's a bit perplexing...
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Cruiser
    Does the ALT light come on when the ignition is switched on, before you start the engine ? Also does the fuel gauge etc. work properly ?

Both of these will indicated whether (or not) the ignition supply fuse the instruments is OK. If this fuse is blown & there is no 12V supply to the ALT light, it will behave as you have described.

If the instrument fuse is OK, then you will have a faulty regulator.

Dr Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    Does the ALT light come on when the ignition is switched on, before you start the engine ? Also does the fuel gauge etc. work properly ?

Both of these will indicated whether (or not) the ignition supply fuse the instruments is OK. If this fuse is blown & there is no 12V supply to the ALT light, it will behave as you have described.

If the instrument fuse is OK, then you will have a faulty regulator.

Dr Terry
    Fuel gauge is ok and alternator light behaves just as it should but remains on and dim with the motor running. The regulator is on the alternator so I guess I need to get it checked out.
    Thanks for your help.

If it's not the reg, as mentioned before, you MAY have a faulty exciter diode in the alt.
    Need to replace the rectifier if this is the case.

Is it a Bosch or a Lucas alt??
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Bosch.
    I drove it today and towards the end of the drive (50 or so km), the light faded a bit. It was still on but a lot dimmer.

Banned
    Swap the alternater with another one.

I've come across this several times. Check that the instrument fuse holder is nice and clean ( free of rust and so on ) and that the fuse is sitting in there nice and tight.

Thanks both wbute and JDT.... I'll try both ideas tomorrow if I get a chance.

Thread Information