Thread: Alloy Radiators, and a warning !

Alloy Radiators, and a warning !

Hi All,

My radiator died recently so had to go alloy, bought one on ebay and it appears that the intake dimensions for the transmission cooling lines are metric rather than imperial. Tried another alloy supplier and the same issue.

Try to find an adaptor from metric to imperial to fit the lines is near impossible!

Anyone else had the same issue or know of a decent alloy radiator supplier that does it well?

These imports are not that great !!

Appreciate your thoughts
    Last edited by HXsman; 24-07-2017 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typos

Yes, Ive been warned by a mate who is in the rad trade to be careful of aftermarket radiators for automatics, he said the lines inside the tank are also smaller & have trouble cooling autos. He said generally the Radiator themselves will work OK for a few years, but be careful for an auto

The best way to get yours going is to buy fittings with spiggots for the rad & a short length of the orange coloured transmission rubber hose (ortang??) something like that

cheers
    Max

P Plater
    im running an alloy rad in my van , it works ok but i wouldnt have trusted it with auto lines so i run a separate trans cooler this way you guarantee the trans is safe from water and doesnt matter if the motor gets hot either

Banned
    Is it not possible to get a genuine radiator re-cored now?

I personally wouldn't go near an alloy radiator where a brass version should exist for a whole range of reason.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    I personally wouldn't go near an alloy radiator where a brass version should exist for a whole range of reason.
    Yeah I wonder about them too. Just look at how the inlet manifold and water pump corrode. Alloy and steel don't really like each other.

Your absolutely correct , an aftermarket alloy radiator will have problems if you pipe it in just run a separate trans cooler and you should be ok.

Thread Information