Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LIBIDO - driveline rebuild

P Plater

LIBIDO - driveline rebuild

Hey all.

Have decided to rebuild driveline in Libido, my HX fac 308 4 speed 18V 1950kg 2 seat Tuxedo N ****ing plated van. I had a thread on its rebuild here previously as some may remember, but can't find it now. All good.

As pictures show, driveline is out and motor stripped, block going off to shop tonight for its cleanup if mechanic ever gets here.

My mechanic is a legend - awesome at what he does, and we have agreed on a price. The engine rebuild does not bother me as I only want a basic build - new everything but it doesn't have to make a thousand horses. My van is just to cruise in - I just want it sharp, reliable, drive able and to sound good - basic stuff I'm sure you'll agree.

Ok, my concern is that I want a 6 speed manual bolted up to the red 308. As I said, we agreed on a price and agreed we'd use a VY box he has at home with 100k on it - no problem. But, I'm reading nothing but horror stories and am not sure if this can even be done - any advice from you guys would be much, much appreciated.

Original m21 needed a rebuild ( and another gear) and I like different so the 6 speed really appealed to me. Am very curious to know the drama awaiting me, if at all it can be done. Mechanic is very gung ho by nature and didn't balk at my want for 6 speeds - I just hope it's cool!

Also, any one know anything about the toner in the pictures? I got it for nothing recently in a trade and it's a very rare thing - build plates are all stato sedan plates. Has 3 engineers plates on it, 5 seat cap been crossed out with an engraver and 2 engraved next to it. Obviously a big body job somewhere along the life of it. Curious to know if anyone knows anything about it. Full fac stato interior, stato everything - not my thing but the price was right.

Cheers for any help.

Go Hawks image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
    Last edited by Rockape; 25-07-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Banned
    Love the one tonner. It's a Statesman cut down?
    Not sure on the 6 speed, other than the VN Group A had a 6 speed out of the factory so it shouldn't be that hard to do. Not sure which box they used in it. They had s fuel injected 5 litre in them.

Apparently you need to massage the tunnel to fit the 6 speed. Shifter comes up a bit further back than the original hole too.

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Love the one tonner. It's a Statesman cut down?
    Not sure on the 6 speed, other than the VN Group A had a 6 speed out of the factory so it shouldn't be that hard to do. Not sure which box they used in it. They had s fuel injected 5 litre in them.
    Yeah tonner is a different beast.
    It's on a WB chassis and has been regoed. Forgot to add, get this, it had a V6 conversion in it at some stage. Wtf???

Has never been in reg with the 5L as far as I am aware. Would be 10 mile of wiring in it!

Air, steer, power windows, everything is there but in disarray and I can't be bothered but it was too good to pass up. My tow truck driver mate has a horn over it so no doubt he will come round when I've had twenty beers and he'll get it very cheap haha.

I think it's an 85 build too, but would have to check. Have found welds in the A pillar suggesting the conversion done at the front but dude I got it off is adamant a stato sedan got rear ended and they cut it behind the doors and welded a tonner ass on it - think the A pillar welds suggest otherwise.

Keen to know if anyone knew anything of it as have heard varying reports.

Cheers for the 6 speed info - even hearing it's possible is reassuring. Can obviously go 5 but everyone does that - really want 6

The Tonner just looks like a sedan cut with the rear wall of a Tonner added. All would simply bolt down on a Tonner chassis no problem. Would cause little complaint from an engineer or rego office. Not sure why they wouldn't have used the Tonner tags though?

As for the TREMAC 6 speed to 308 sure it can be done but your transmission tunnel will need to change. These boxes are big, a lot bigger than the Aussie 4 slot. That said, they are a great gearbox once you fit a short shift to them. Speak to Dellow (Sydney) or Castlemaine Rod Shop (Vic) on the conversion kit. I doubt you would regret it from a strength or drivability point of view. Cutting up the car though might be a concern for some.

Banned
    Have you got some better pics of the one tonner?

I put a Tremec t56 Magnum box in my LX SLR Torana behind a Holden V8 (304 injected) I used a Dellows bell housing. These boxes are simular to the tr6060 box in the VF commodore, but have a different extension housing and have both mechanical and electronic speedo inputs. So you can still use your speedo cable set up. I used the concentric thrust bearing same as commodore and made my own under dash hydraulic master cylinder.( simular to Mall Woods}

Clutch is very light and excellent feel. I didn't cut my tunnel and the box fits reasonably well, but if your after the perfect drive shaft angle you might need to do a slight mod to the tunnel (wouldn't need much). The Magnum box comes with different gear shift/stick points by bolting the shifter in three different positions. I just reversed the top shift housing (four bolts) which lined up perfectly for the original Torana console. I got my box off Summit racing and they shipped it to my door for $3,800 plus freight. This was around six years ago but I don't think they have gone up much since, and there are plenty of companies in Australia selling them now. At the time they were only new on the market and Mall Wood was the only one selling them locally. also Mall wanted $8,900 back then. These boxes are rated at 700hp and different overdrives are available. Mine is a .65 6th gear overdrive.

I also have a Tremec TKO 5 speed in the hatch, although its a nice box the T56 is better again and fits better in the tunnel. The TKO shift fells a bit like a truck and agricultural compared to the Magnum box. The Magnum box just seams to have a perfect close ratio for every driving situation.

Hope this helps.

P Plater
    Hey all. Not sure this is the right place to post it but it will do.

Chasing some advice.

An old fella put me onto an 'old holden, that's all I know' other day so I finally went out to grab it. It was free so regardless of what it was I decided I'd get it.

Turns out to be a SL/R looking Torana. First sighting as I saw it nosed in under a mango tree had me VERY excited - was low, fat, blue and wore a full flare kit.

Sadly it turned out to be a 7/79 UC dressed up - rusted waaaaaay beyond repair. Complete car though - disc front, ten bolt rear, and it's an SL/E I'm told due to the beige cloth insert trim and steering wheel. Has good interior for its condition, twin pop up sunroof and a Thriller cassette in the glovebox woohoo.

The driveline is the cool part. It has a reportedly heavily worked red 253 and a Celica 5 speed box with hydraulic clutch set up. Atop the motor is a quadrajet which is a very old one I'm told with the vacuum looking filter and return line still in place. Best part is the engine code - 29 C 4 - March 74.

I haven't had much time to play with it but plan to pull the driveline and flog off the rest. I know not much about Sandys but sadly even less about Toranas. Anyone know if that motor is as desirable as I'm being told? Any info would be, as usual, appreciated.

If you want photos let me know and mill stick a couple up.

Cheers.

Banned
    Just check it's not a blue motor being a 4 year code and having a quadrajet. Is it electronic ignition? What engine number does it have?
    If it's a red motor, someone who is chasing a correct date coded motor would like it I guess.

Banned
    Fair enough. Just got to find someone that needs one

Thread Information