Thread: no power to cranking wire at starter - WB V8 autp

no power to cranking wire at starter - WB V8 autp

another bloody elec issue. WB V8 - column auto
    car runs perfectly but wont start off the ignition.... but will switch off at the ignition (does this mean it's not a faulty ignition switch? i've exchanged one anyway already and there was no change). I had the exact same issue only a few months ago on the same model (not same car) I swapped the neutral safety switch in the last car and it made no difference, i didn't end up getting it running off the ignition.
    I haven't tried to bypass the neutral safety on this one yet though. anyone have any suggestions?
    BQZ

Sounds like the starter motor or auto cutout circuit to me. Does the electrical circuit pull current when the key is turned to start? If you can detect a volt drop (via dash gauge or multi meter), then you might have a dodgy start solenoid contact? One sure method is to see if 12VDC appears on the start wire at the solenoid when the key is turned.

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    Sounds like the starter motor or auto cutout circuit to me. Does the electrical circuit pull current when the key is turned to start? If you can detect a volt drop (via dash gauge or multi meter), then you might have a dodgy start solenoid contact? One sure method is to see if 12VDC appears on the start wire at the solenoid when the key is turned.
    there is no 12V at start wire when cranking mate (there is power at pink and red at main loom connection in the engine bay when ignition is ON). other thing i should have mentioned is that temp and fuel gauges are staying powered up even with ignition off. they will only stop reading when I disconnect battery. it has one of those cheap ass starter motors on it.
    Last edited by Vombil; 07-08-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    BQZ

What happens when you bridge the main terminal and solenoid wire it turn engine over sounds like wiring issues

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy View Post
    What happens when you bridge the main terminal and solenoid wire it turn engine over sounds like wiring issues
    starts perfectly when bridged. there is a relay that was set up for the starter now I think about it! could this be a power drain during start up? If you bridge the starter and it starts does that rule out the starter? pretty weird. it happened on the very last WB v8 i owned too.
    BQZ

Stretching the memory a bit here but think the inhibitor switch wiring is (purple - I think?) at the switch (either on the t-bar or at the base of the column if it is a column auto. Either way, if you can pop the harness off the switch and with a test light see if one of the wires is energised when you turn the key to 'crank'. If it is then the ignition switch isn't the issue. To then check the inhibitor switch (only if you think it is dicky or you could just skip this step and go back and check it later if you still have an issue) you can either bridge the two wires (be careful as if it is going to start it will start in gear with thess wires bridged), and then using a test light down at the starter solenoid wire see if you have power while cranking.

If you have power to the solenoid while the key is in the 'crank' position then the issue is within the solenoid (as you've already tested that by bridging it).
    Nunc est bibendum...

Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    Stretching the memory a bit here but think the inhibitor switch wiring is (purple - I think?) at the switch (either on the t-bar or at the base of the column if it is a column auto. Either way, if you can pop the harness off the switch and with a test light see if one of the wires is energised when you turn the key to 'crank'. If it is then the ignition switch isn't the issue. To then check the inhibitor switch (only if you think it is dicky or you could just skip this step and go back and check it later if you still have an issue) you can either bridge the two wires (be careful as if it is going to start it will start in gear with thess wires bridged), and then using a test light down at the starter solenoid wire see if you have power while cranking.

If you have power to the solenoid while the key is in the 'crank' position then the issue is within the solenoid (as you've already tested that by bridging it).
    cheers Taily

I just had my bro hold the key to crank. One good WB was over 12V the dud one was 0.12V when cranking! So it's getting some power but yeah. it aint ever going to start. wiring?? can it be a switch if some power is getting through? thanks
    BQZ

If it starts when bridged the starter and solinoid are fine

i've been told it needs a starter relay by a bloke who had same problem after changing starter motors on an HG. see what gives
    BQZ

trust me to always look for the most outrageous heinous fault - was the bloody neutral safety switch. previous owner didn't reconnect the plug after lube service on the switch by the looks. disaster averted. no need to hand over hundreds to an auto sparkie. thanks guys
    BQZ

Thread Information