Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alien DNAs HQ XX7 Sandman

How's the progress on this one coming mate?
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Hey Rob..... still at the dirty work stage.
    As you can imagine....doing a bunch of Sandman stuff (apart from actually doing my build) takes more time than i like. It keeps me away from my build, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do for the greater good. Very ironic

The wonderful job of getting rid of all the drip check just plain sucked. A few different methods were attempted.....the wire wheel method worked the least. It made all the drip check heat up and gum up the wheel....so basically, it was scrapped out with a scribber then ran over all the channels with a media blaster.....come up perfectly clean. Sometimes pure hard grunt work gets the best results....no short cuts unfortunately.

When repairing isnt an option. Obviously the more original steel the better....but mother time and the van being found under a tarp dictates otherwise....this is next job. As much as i would love to see the shell on the rotisserie, i fear that doing such repairs may have a slight twisting effect. As its on its chassis now, its stable and not moving. That goes for the window fill ins as well

Cleaning up the window braces and should be wrapped up soon...then onto the passenger side

Keep chipping away at least you have made a start

Have you made a start on yours Gene?

Thats a big fat No

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    When repairing isnt an option. Obviously the more original steel the better....but mother time and the van being found under a tarp dictates otherwise....this is next job. As much as i would love to see the shell on the rotisserie, i fear that doing such repairs may have a slight twisting effect. As its on its chassis now, its stable and not moving. That goes for the window fill ins as well
    I can really understand how time dictates the next job, its a good description. I am at the stage where I have to pick up where I left off and get two cars (one HX van and one HJ wagon) in paint this summer, (shoulda been last summer but...anyway) so I'm also on a mission of time, weather deterioration, and garage space. One foot in front of the other to beat the weather. (Still all good fun! - lol). It must have been a bit of a decision to decide how to handle that gutter, but I reckon now you've started it, thats gotta be a good place to be!

Thread Information