Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuxedo black HJ

Learner Driver

Tuxedo black HJ

Hi guys,
    I am a bit confused with the colour code for 5/76 Hj in tuxedo black.
    Just trying to chase down some pics of a HJ van in tuxedo black 15991.
    Have seen a few photos of later models in black on the net, but I'm struggling to find anything in the HJ series except for a Die cast model.
    In the Hj, if the body is in 15991, were the flutes and black outs painted in the same colour or a different tint black?
    The sandman decals I have seen seem to be blue, was this standard colour coding from the factory or was there options for different colours white, silver etc.

Thanks in advance

HJ Sandman in Tuxedo Black didn't get any blackouts because they were already all black.
    Decals on Black would be White only. HJ Sandman decals were either White or Black, no other option.

If you have a HJ Sandman with all the tags. See www.holdenhistoricalservices.com.au and purchase a certificate.
    It will confirm the White decals package (if one was supplied) when sold new. HQ and HJ decals packages were supplied by Holden and fitted by the selling dealer.
    Or supplied to the owner in the car/glovebox.

Learner Driver
    Thanks for that, I am looking at buying this but I'm having trouble trying to find pictures of what it would look like in black as it is not in original colour at the moment. I'm thinking black with HJ white stickers would look quite unique?

I would say a HJ in Tuxedo black with White stripes could look awesome.
    I don't know of any photos in this combination (although they probably exist somewhere).
    You would want to prove it is 100% a Sandman. All 3 tags and chassis along with original body before parting with or investing big money.

mac_murdered.jpg

Could look a little like this!
    I did a little photoshop work to Mac Dave's Red HJ Sandman.

Nice photoshop Innuendo. I am not sure you are right re the blackouts though. Although it would be essentially unnoticeable, I do believe the blackouts (flutes, lower edges etc) were still painted in the flat/satin black as per other colours.

White stripes on black would look crazy good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    Nice photoshop Innuendo. I am not sure you are right re the blackouts though. Although it would be essentially unnoticeable, I do believe the blackouts (flutes, lower edges etc) were still painted in the flat/satin black as per other colours.

White stripes on black would look crazy good.
    You might be right Sandaro, I do remember Byron talking once about it in an old thread. But I'm not sure it was ever finalised or confirmed.
    If they were done on HJ that way I can't remember ever seeing it (or noticing it). If you were to do it it could look quite smart and I doubt anyone would argue the toss.
    Wonder what they did with Black Torana's?

Learner Driver
    Would be nice if this car was in that shape but unfortunately not. It has been confirmed by Byron on here previously in old posts that it lines up ok. If it wasn't black I don't think I would be having a crack. Thanks innuendo.

Black Toranas had a silver trim colour but Black vans and utes were just the one colour.... I had two mates with black HJ Sandmans from new and I clearly remember they had no trim, satin or otherwise in the flutes or sills. I polished one at a van show and it was just the same black as the rest of the van. One of them was considering doing a silver or grey in the flutes but didn't get around to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    You might be right Sandaro, I do remember Byron talking once about it in an old thread. But I'm not sure it was ever finalised or confirmed.
    If they were done on HJ that way I can't remember ever seeing it (or noticing it). If you were to do it it could look quite smart and I doubt anyone would argue the toss.
    Wonder what they did with Black Torana's?
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Yeah I don't remember the satin blackouts over gloss Rob.

But here is another photoshop I did of what it might look like!

hj_pano_now_black.jpg

Thread Information