Thread: matching up engine number

Learner Driver

matching up engine number

Hi guys,
    I have a 5/76 HJ 308, I'm wondering if there is any actual records of the actual engine number the car was made with, as I'm guessing I am never going to be able to find this block, what would the approximate engine number/code be for a 308 built for a 5/76 hj so I can at least have a block that matches that era.
    Thanks

You would need a block made according to the cast time stamp up to and around 3 months of your build date (obviously not after).
    For the real engine number, it is written in the Owners Manual/Service Policy and is why car with them are more desirable and likely more valuable.
    I report from www.holdenhistoricalservices.com.au in some cases will let you know the engine number (if it was recorded).
    Being a HJ 308 the engine number will start with QT.

Learner Driver
    Thanks once again Innuendo, where is the cast time stamp located. I have a photo that reads 28L5 but I cant see in the photo where it is located. Looks to be in front of intake at the front of the block?
    I guess QT is designated for all HJ series and there is nothing different marked between the model ranges Belmont up to GTS or a Sandman?
    Does the prefix 11 have any meaning?
    An engine out of a Kingswood with the right time stamp will be authentic in a Sandman?
    Last edited by porkhunt22; 12-09-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Yes the cast date is in front of the intake manifold before the water pump.
    28L5 = 28 day November 1975
    11QT = Statesman 308

An engine out of a Holden, Kingswood or Torana with QT would be suitable.

Banned
    Torana motor will have wrong engine number prefix as will early Commodore.
    The only one that suits HJ is a QT motor in 308 or a replacement Nasco block with NT prefix.
    11QT is HQ to HZ Statesman. It was a favourite way of re-birthing a stolen 308 as well. Just add 11.
    Chasing the date code doesn't really mean much though. The only authentic engine number is the one on the purchase documents.
    All HQ to early HZ 308 were the same prefix regardless of model or series except Statesman. It was only a replacement block that got a different prefix. Torana and Commodore were a different prefix as was WB. L34 were different again.
    So you want QT for 308 or QR for 253.
    Last edited by wbute; 12-09-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Learner Driver
    Thanks for your help guys.

Yeah. Torana was HT and HR.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

The important part is to look for a QT engine number where ever it has been transplanted.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Thread Information