Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What temperature?

Guys I might have made a stuff up with the temps
    I really should be checking the hoses and not the alloy cover on the inlet manifold.as that was quite a lot hotter than the hoses
    Found this out when check the new thermostat

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Best to take temp readings at the top tank of the radiator when running and temperature stabilised.

Cheers will do
    Kiwivan

If you can keep your hand on the top radiator hose for longer than 5 seconds the Motor temperature is ok ,a old mechanic showed me that 30 years ago and yet to let me down

Top tank and hose is 87deg
    Bottom was approx 64deg
    Warm day 24 deg after a hours run(country and town running.
    Will still do the water pump and radiator clean out just to double check but I’m a lot happier with changing the thermostat to an 80 deg one,not sure what the other was as no marks on it to tell.
    Thanks for the help and information guys.

Cheers Kiwivan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwivan View Post
    Guys I might have made a stuff up with the temps
    I really should be checking the hoses and not the alloy cover on the inlet manifold.as that was quite a lot hotter than the hoses
    Found this out when check the new thermostat

Cheers Kiwivan
    I reckoned those temps were wrong. That’s why I asked where you were measuring it from. You need to measure the coolant temp, not the air flow or the outside of the radiator. That’s why I mentioned that a tractor with a capillary tube gauge runs at about 92 degrees under load eben in 40 degree heat. But if you get blasted by the air from the fan or go near the transmission you would swear it was running at 1000 degrees. The radiator and fan are doing there job by getting rid of that heat by transferring it to the air. Those digital point and shoot gauges only tell you the temp of what ever is closest to them.
    Maybe the tractor thing sounds stupid, but when you drop $170000 into a tractor you tend to keep a pretty close eye on the gauges when it’s working hard under extreme conditions for 14 hours a day.
    I drove a Cat 785 dump truck today. It was over 40 degrees for most of the day. It worked hard doing short runs up a ramp onto the tails dam wall loaded, so very little air flow as it never got out of first gear. It sat on 3/4 on the gauge all day. Never moved. If your gauge moves you have a problem. Either the cooling system has an issue or it’s just plain inadequate. Which is why I questioned old mates brand new HZ sedan that they could never get to run cool.
    Last edited by wbute; 07-01-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks for the info
    Have to say quite a bit happier now that I know the temps.
    But are non aircon vans ment to have a shroud?
    As I have the bent metal bit above the radiator.

Cheers Kiwivan

Only Air Conditioned had the shroud from factory. At least in the regular run HQ-HZ.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Only Air Conditioned had the shroud from factory. At least in the regular run HQ-HZ.
    Strange.
    So do most people opt for putting a shroud on even if they don’t have aircon.
    Again Holden should know.

Cheers Kiwivan

I would always install a shroud all modern cars have them it make the radiator work evenly

Thread Information