Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What temperature?

Make sure you use alaser thermometer to check for the correct temperatures just prove that the gauge was reasonably accurate.

Cheers Kiwivan
    Last edited by Kiwivan; 10-01-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

My 2 cents is that I HATE overheating cars.

Changing the thermostat wont make it run cooler, all it will do is open earlier
    Changing the radiator cap for a higher pressure one is one of the 1% / marginal changes - it helps, but doesn't solve the problem.

Had a 1987 Twin Turbo Corvette (factory turbos) that overheated:
    Tried higher pressure caps, better ducting, lower temp themostats, turning on thermo fans earlier - all "helped", but none solved the problem.
    I just had to look at the accelerator and it'd overheat.

It was only after I bit the bullet and pulled the radiator that I found the 2/3 of the tubes in the radiator were blocked.
    Go a new one built - with and extra row and no matter how I drive it, no matter how hot it is outside it wont overheat!

With my recent Panel Van, I didn't muck about, went and got a 4 row radiator made up - never overheats now!

My advice, flush out the cooling system several times, bang in a 4 row radiator and enjoy driving it.

Agreed Puzzigully.

New hoses, no leaks, updated radiator, I went for a shroud and a clutch fan and an overflow.

Before the rebuild it would run at a couple of needles below half, never get hot, after rebuild the 308 is now 60 thou over and it runs on a needle past half. That's summer city driving. Never gets hot.

Cheers.

Just an update.
    Replaced water pump as the impeller was just about worn down.
    Also had the radiator done as well.
    Doing the water pump had the most improvement.
    The radiator guy claims that there was not much gunk in it.
    Not sure about radiator man through.
    But quite happy with the results.
    So in the end replaced hoses,water pump,and cleaned radiator installed new thermostat and radiator cap.
    And installed a shroud.
    Stinking hot day and maintains it temperature.
    All and all job done.
    But I might buy a new radiator a brass copper one.
    Thanks for all your advice and help.

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Holden 308 should not have any overheating
    Problems at all , unless you have some major problem like head gasket or a crack.

Mine has factory ac and power steering in my wb panelvan and on the hottest day stays between 1/4 and 1/2 no drama , but
    There's a reason why .
    It has a custom made fan shroud and twin thermo fans and I run a 140 amp alternater.

Thread Information