Thread: HJ v8 A/C relay locations

HJ v8 A/C relay locations

I want to get the exact location of the compressor relay (the square relay)? I cant recall where the relay goes and I didn't get a photo when i pulled the car down. The relay has the purple, back and green wires. I cant find a wring diagram for it either? Can anyone help out?

I found the answer myself at a car show last week. The square Bosch relay mounts on the radiator support panel ( front passenger side) by the battery and actually controls the thermo fan which sits in front of the condenser. Makes sense why I couldn’t find the mounting hole in the inner guard. It just goes to show that you can’t take enough photos and label everything!

Hey HJsandman75.

Curious: Does the HJ use a thermo switch in the radiator to modulate the aux fan up front? It would likely cut the relay in and out as coolant temp varies?

The fan relay is switched on as soon as the the air conditioning is selected via the controls. The fan continues to run even if the compressor cycles off due to low temperature in the cabin. I think the van commodore was the first to use a thermo switch in the radiator?

- - - Updated - - -

Should say VN commodore

- - - Updated - - -

D8F8E062-02D0-452B-8778-C651BD3CC97A.jpeg

This is a photo of the HJ Holden fan relay

Are you sure a hj had a factory electric thermos fan

I am not 100% sure as i cant find any literature on it but all the cars I have seen (HJ,HX,HZ) all have the same Bosch steel relay located on the same place and mine was the same when i stripped it down? HQ’s I’ve seen didn’t have the relay or thermo fan? All the thermo fans were located at the same location (passenger side) front of radiator.
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=HJsandman75;110717]The fan relay is switched on as soon as the the air conditioning is selected via the controls. The fan continues to run even if the compressor cycles off due to low temperature in the cabin. I think the van commodore was the first to use a thermo switch in the radiator?

- - - Updated - - -

Should say VN commodore

- - - Updated - - -

WB has the thermo switch, so i assume VB commodore onwards as well? It looks like you have the the same fan as my WB. Its a noisy bugger... my A/C man calls them an air scarer rather than an air mover

Thread Information