Thread: Where is she now.

Where is she now.

One of those regretful things in life was when I parted with my HJ sandman in 1983. I was pressured into selling it by the girlfriend. I had it longer than her so in hind sight I should have kept the van and got rid of her.

Anyway every time I see a Deville Blue van I wonder if its my old van or not. I sometimes think I lost an old friend. I traded the van in on a VC Brock commodore, the worst car I have ever owned which didn't make the loss any better. So getting back to the van, it was an originally purchased new in N.S.W in 1975 and was an early HJ Sandman 2 seat L20 M20, Black interior, GTS guards and body paint colour antelope metallic. Of course we all do the period modifications in the 80s and I fitted a Chev 327 engine 4 speed Muncie transmission and a 10 bolt LSD 3.08 diff. Also added the HJ station wagon rear bumper, twin headlight front and painted it Deville blue. The back had a very simple deck out, beige carpet, wood panels on both sides and the standard black full headlining. If anyone has a Sandman which may fit the original spec I would like to know if my old Sandman was a survivor or not.

Thanks Lenny.

Gee, I have a similar story, probably a lot of blokes out there would agree.. definitely feels like losing an old friend, I always say it was one of the family. Not sure however if it was the same girlfriend:

Anyway good luck with the search, Where was it traded, & do you have a picture of your van?

cheers
    Max
    Last edited by maxsandman; 12-03-2018 at 06:14 PM.

G'day Max, I purchased the van second hand off a mates older brother in 1978, I believe he purchased it new from Tony Packard Holden Windsor Rd Baulkham hills N.S.W. I traded it in during 1983 at Suttons motors Holden on Parramatta Rd Homebush N.S.W.

I found the car three months later at a used car dealer on Parramatta Rd Lidcombe N.S.W. When I looked at the van a salesman come over trying to sell me the car telling me all that had been done to It flying figures ect at me. I waited till he finished his best sales pitch before telling him I was the previous owner then told him what drive line I build for it. (engine was from a corvette stingray 360hp spec 327) He informed me that the person that traded it in was forced by his parents and traded the HJ Sandman in on a VW kombi. He told me the father was with his son at the time and on three occasions lost control and the last incident was with his father in the van. His father explained to the salesman it was to powerful for him or his son to drive and was dangerous.

My old man borrowed it one and the only thing he said when he handed back the keys was why do you need all that power with a bit of a terrified look on his face. At least he didn't tell me I had to sell it. Dad was in his late fifties then. Anyway that's the last time I saw my pride a joy. I will try and scan an old photo if I can find the old photo album.

Thread Information