Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Austral HJ - Project

Leadfoot
    Often it can depend on your location, capability and financial situation that determines how you go about the project. My neighbour just bought a completed HG van and enjoys driving it for what it is. On the other hand a friend has spent a few years completing his HG Monaro and doing nearly everything himself. Both get the same amount of enjoyment.
    As Sandaro advises it is highly recommended to photograph and identify everything carefully. Digital photography makes it a lot easier these days to store the photos for later use.
    In Melbourne "Blast Off" is run by an enthusiast and can advise your options as can similar companies nearer to you. There was one company in Albury that tanked the vehicle but they closed recently.

Some have been caught out by taking their car to a panel shop and accepting they will work on it when time permits (to help keep the costs down). This can lead to lost or damaged parts and a long time before the vehicle is finished. Others enjoy doing the majority themselves and this relies on your capability.

While there are some who don't like Rare Spares at least you can look at the website for your car and the products available. This can enable you to get an indication of the potential total cost of the parts you may need and what is available. Then it is up to you if you buy NOS (New old Stock), secondhand or Reproduction. It is important to get some idea of what the project may cost you so you can determine how you are going to complete it. They also have some fitment videos to show you how door seals, glass run channel etc, are installed as a general indication.

At the end of the day you will have a lot of information that will allow you to choose how you go about keeping the dream alive.

Cruiser
    got my ute blasted by blast off he the man

G'day Austral, yours looks pretty good, mine wasn't too bad till I got it blasted. I'm glad I did though. I do a bit of weekend dustless blasting (using garnet)for a local engineering mob as no one else up here is stupid enough to pull the job on during the wet season, I’m only learning and it's all heavy steel so I got the pro to do mine in consultation with my panel beater. (Only bad/known areas, no big flat areas)
    Plenty of people have done it with wire wheels or paint strippers, my only advice is get/make a rotisserie, makes things a lot easier. Have fun.
    Wilko

BA3DC693-1681-4F0F-8299-158B044ECBF6.jpeg
    62CA7F60-3F40-4950-A8F7-B61279A6490E.jpeg
    AEFF712F-5D5B-4A22-8793-0C8EDC41FBEE.jpeg

Welcome mate. There are some great threads with detailed resto info in them but unfortunately photo bucket killed a lot of that off. A lot of photos have been lost but if you ask for something someone will surely have a pic of it they can post. Everyone here has been in the same boat so we're all happy to help in any way we can. A lot of folk on this site are very cluey about all things holden and sandman!

some handy advice would be to not cover in plastic or tarp. maybe buy one of those temporary gazebo carport things off ebay just to keep the direct rain off until you find a shed.

Learner Driver
    Thanks all for your help. I’ll get back in touch with detailed questions when we make a start. Thanks again.

Learner Driver

It begins....

Hi All,

the project has started and the first surprise has been the rust in the pannel below the windscreen (not htat much of a surrise!). Im lucky to have a good panel beater working on this for me. THe next big decision is the windows. I realy want to fill them. So we are just in the process of looking into the best process/method now. I'll keep diging through the old threads here but please feel free to share your thoughts on this. Since my last post (a long time ago) i have sourced a complete interior and refinished rims as well.

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

How good does any panel look stripped bare. How do they get it so clean? (without spending 100hours on it)

Learner Driver
    No idea Sandaro, that’s why I have my panel guys doing the panel work. He is pretty fussy which is what I want. Can’t wait to see the project moving along.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    without spending 100hours on it
    You said it there haha!!!

Looking good Austral. The gate looks solid.
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Thread Information