Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Austral HJ - Project

Learner Driver

Austral HJ - Project

Hi All,

so finally got the new/old van home. It is parked in the shed until i find the time to start. I will have plenty of questions along the way including decisions about those windows! All in all it is in pretty good condition and I am looking forward to the task.

First question, for a novice like me is there a manual/website etc that generally steps through the restoration process?

Cheers

IMG_4042_car.jpgIMG_4043_car.jpg

Looks pretty good mate. What are you planning to yourself, what will be done by professionals? No specific site that I'm aware of, but if you look through some other people's threads in the showroom there are quite a few progress builds right through.

Learner Driver
    Hi Sandro, I have been trawling through here over the last few weeks and it will be a great resource. Sand blasting, panel beating, spray and some interior finishing by professionals. I have these guys sorted already. I was planning on doing the remainder myself. Just need to get some shed space sorted and find some time.

Banned
    I think one common idea is don’t sandblast as it damages panels. Soda blasting seems to be the way to go.

Learner Driver
    Interesting what you get told/ advised. I have been told not to Sosa blast by my spray painter as there can be a residue that affects the paint. It’s going to be an interesting trip for me I think.

looks like a good project, cant see sills, but not too much rust in the pics. The windows look big, I would get rid of them. (That's only my opinion) But must be done by someone experienced, as badly welded in panels look horrible. Good luck with the build

I wouldn't use sand or soda but thats just me
    Welcome to the forum mate looks like a nice project you got keep us updated on progress we love restos here
    need any help just ask plenty of gurus here
    cheers Gene.

Hmmm, another HJ Sandman with the rubber bumper strip... nice looking project, good luck with the resto..
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Austral View Post
    Interesting what you get told/ advised. I have been told not to Sosa blast by my spray painter as there can be a residue that affects the paint. It’s going to be an interesting trip for me I think.
    Possibly so but sand gets in every where too and it damages big panels. No doubt there is a better option than soda but sand isn’t it.

Best tips I can give is to take photos of how everything goes before and as you disassemble and bag and tag all bolts and screws for reassembly. If you are like a lot of restorers there can be years in between disassembly and re-assembly. Referring back to photos will help memory

Thread Information