Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket A/C

I got the parts back from powdercoating and mounted the sanden with a new 85amp alternator'
    just mounted.jpg

I've noticed there's an interference problem with the belt and the nut on the pulley for the alternator
    problem mounted.jpg

some head scratching required
    Shorter or longer alternator belts won't solve, need to look and see if longer/shorter A/C belts will....
    Last edited by Puzzigully; 01-08-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Another alternative would be to move the pivot point of the a/c unit to the left an inch and a half (when viewed in the 1st photo above -towards the direction of the centre of the engine). Obviously this would involve cutting the plate brackets to a more triangular shape and redrilling holes for the pivot closer to heavy bracket that mounts off the head. Not sure if I've explained that too well, bit of cutting and cleaning up surfaces etc but will give clearance

Banned
    Is the AC compressor actually meant to sit up on top of the bracket? That’s where the comp sits on mine. That would move the belt about 4inches to the left. It’s very hard to see from the pictures how it fits on though.

It's all mounted how its supposed to be.
    Disappointed it isn't true "bolt on" solution

moving the mounting holes for the compressor to the left is possible, but you very quickly lose clearance from the rocker covers

a bit of head scratching and mucking about with belt lengths is in my future

Hey Puzzigully. I've got the same setup as you and had the same fouling of the belt on the alternator pulley (actually the alternator shaft). To resolve, i inserted 2 x washers between the compressor mounts and the brackets and it moved it forward just enough for the belt to clear the alternator shaft/pulley. It also lined the A/C belt up more square.

See pic below where the 2 x washers are visible.

20180718_124944.jpg

Hope it helps

Thanks for the pic, very informative.

When you say "2 washers", you mean, 1 washer per bolt? (that what it looks like in the pics)

Also do you have the belt upside down?
    I thought the "ribs" faced down?

Banned
    It’s a V belt, it shouldn’t be possible to put on wrong. Big ones do flip over when they are worn out.

Yes correct. Its 1 x washer per bolt in the pic. I note you have 1 x long bolt with an extended spacer, but maybe the concept is still the same. You do have room for adjustment. Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Belt is a V type and has ribs on the outer surface.

Damien,

Yes, I made up some solid spacers so as to use a single bolt as I thought it was much neater, I can turn them down a tad to get the washer in the appropriate place

One other area I looked at, and notice you have done the same. is that there's a spacer/washer at the back of the top tube of the cast piece which if you put that at the front will move the entire plate forward.
    The disadvantage is that the plate for the top alternator mount and the slot for A/C tension would then be touching, instead of having a spacer in between.

I'll put it together with the washers as spacers and tighten it all up, then reassess where I'm at.

Just to assist, any chance you can take a pic of where the A/C belt routes past the front of the Alternator on your setup?

Cheers
    Last edited by Puzzigully; 02-08-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Hey Puzzigully

Yeah that single bolt looks much better than my setup. With regards to the other option, i think from memory that i decided you cant move the front plate anywhere, as it buggers something up with alignment...just cant remember what?

I grabbed some more pics tonight for you. See below.

20180802_191113.jpg 20180802_191133.jpg

20180802_191151.jpg 20180802_191231.jpg

Thread Information