Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket A/C

Banned
    I converted mine to a modern Sanden compressor. It works worse because they have a smaller capacity than the big old AC Delco one. It’s all lost in the evaporator because it’s in the engine bay right next to the head, with only a piece of plastic between. I like the Holden system because you get vacuum controls and it was meant to be there. But the aftermarket one in my brothers always worked better.

- - - Updated - - -

Having said that, the Sanden works well on the aftermarket system because it’s a more efficient system.

Yes agreed on less capacity, my experience with the Sanden vs AC Delco is that it takes longer to get really cold air flowing, but the drag on engine power is noticeably less. Mine still freezes the evaporator after a while so i guess its up to the task? Reminds me, i really need to turn down the engine bay thermostat one day.

Quote Originally Posted by HXsman View Post
    I'd really like to see someone's comprehensive setup of a Vintage air install in a H series. I've seen bits and pieces but no install photo's end to end. I agree that these would be better than trying to get one of the older units to work and apparently they are more efficient.
    You have probably already seen this thread - has some info/pic's of Vintage Air setup in HJ ute (pages 17 - 19) - http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/showthread.php/2499-Hj-Kingswood-Sandman-Rebuild/page17

Thanks for the link AN5590

More research shows you can pretty much get an off the shelf kit now for $2300 that uses a controller that fits in the original HVAC control position AND the claim is you dont lose any Glovebox!

The controller fits in the same position and looks like:
    IMG_8039.jpg

The supplier also makes a blanking plate for the engine bay when you remove the factory blower unit - so actually cleans up the Engine bay

You also will retain the fresh air vents if you wish to.

I'm starting to lean this way, as it looks as original as possible
    Previous options seemed to leave control in the dash that didn't do anything...

Banned
    No, all the controls still operated the vents and heater. You just have extra ones for the AC.
    What does that unit use for a heater if you remove all the factory blower?

The Vintage unit is heat/cool and defrost. and there is no extra controls as the new one replaces the old one.

The thing that is attractive is that no glovebox mods (allegedly) are required and hopefully far more efficient than the two original options (Factory/Dealer)
    Last edited by Puzzigully; 20-06-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Vintage Air con shits on GMH air con anyday
    Its all to much to take in would be great to have a thread just for the install of the Vintage unit in a HQ to WB van,ute
    Puzzigully ??
    Last edited by Valencia; 20-06-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Owners I have spoken to that have Vintage air in their cars all commented they thought the Air Con wasn't very efficient. I am generalising here and not limited to HQ-WB Holden's. All the units I have seen are very compact to try and get them to fit in small hot rod under dash spacers, and for that reason the evaporators are very small which would make them less efficient than most modern factory units.

When I fitted the Denso units to my Toranas I managed to control all the original functions,flap, fan and defrost ect using the original panel and cables controls. (everything look factory) The only addition you can see is a small push button switch in the HVAC panel for the compressor activation. Never had a Vintage air system but all I can say is on a 42 degrees day the hatch is a cool 23 inside which is impressive considering I have 1 7/8"headers and duel system only 50mm from the fire all and floor. and over 500hp engine, so the heat factor is all there.

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    would be great to have a thread just for the install of the Vintage unit in a HQ to WB van,ute
    Puzzigully ??
    Yeah, this sounds like a great idea.

I'm just waiting on a few call backs, but I'm pretty convinced to go the Vintage air route with heating and cooling...

Have to admit it wasn't my first preference as I really wanted originality. but by the time I sourced all the original bits, be they Dealer or factory, then reconditioned them, I'd have an equivalent cost with an inferior result...

The thought of purchasing a donor vehicle from a wrecker with all the bits seemed the cheapest option, but still a massive pain with having to find it, transport it, remove all the required parts, dispose of whats left, recondition, then install.

As it is, I can order tomorrow and start installing as soon as it arrives.

This is purely a personal preference, but I HATED the factory look of the engine bay with A/C, the dealer option really appealed to me, but in the end, I'll go Vintage unless something sways me in the next week or so.

I'll take and post as many pics as I can to help others.

Thread Information