Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket A/C

Aftermarket A/C

Hi guys, just been reading all i can on A/C in a Van....

Seems as thought the original integrated system could work, but lots of headaches
    Change heater control, source dash, ducting etc etc

Looking aftermarket - I've installed an under dash unit in an XY before and while it works very well the poor passenger freezes..

Has anyone ever thought of installing the blower unit above the driver and passenger rather than in/under the dash?

Any input most welcome - even input on a hybrid system on the dealer style A/C

Cheers

Look into Vintage Air https://www.vintageair.com
    I seem to remember a distributor in Australia.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

In my Toranas I used a Toyota Hilux LN106 series evaporator and integrated it under the dash (Hidden) which blows into the original Holden air box. All the flaps, air direction, and heater operate from the original controls. The system works better than any Holden A/C I have ever had. On a 42 deg day I can get the temp down to 23 on medium fan speed. Not as big an area to cool as the panno but I reckon would do the job well. The Toyota Hilux evaporator unit contains the high and low pressure switches, TX valve and the amplifier so wiring it up is very simple. I also used the Hilux compressor and condenser unit.

axistr, be interested how you accomplished that!
    Sounds just what I might need.

I've seen vague references to dealer fitted A/C, but it all seems low on detail.
    Seems to use same controls, but a separate on/off switch

Innuendo, yes had come across those guys, just not sure what will work for the WB with HZ dash

Anyone think my idea about a fan/evaporator above the driver/passenger have any merit?
    Last edited by Puzzigully; 15-06-2018 at 06:25 PM.

This actually has a pic of the evaporator
    https://www.aussiev8.com.au/holden-v...rcon-unit.html

20150208_081125_zpsrhtlbeyo.jpg

Am I chasing the mythical unicorn??

Click on the link below and all going well it should take you to my SLR build showing how I did the conversion on a Torana.

P.S There's a heap more room on a HZ/WB than a Torana

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/...project/page-5

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzigully View Post
    axistr, be interested how you accomplished that!
    Sounds just what I might need.

I've seen vague references to dealer fitted A/C, but it all seems low on detail.
    Seems to use same controls, but a separate on/off switch

Innuendo, yes had come across those guys, just not sure what will work for the WB with HZ dash

Anyone think my idea about a fan/evaporator above the driver/passenger have any merit?
    Tractors all have the AC blowing down from the cab roof. It’s in front of you though, not behind. Plus you have to run the hoses from the compressor all the way up into the roof. That would not be easy to hide.

I watch this with interest.........

only speaking from (recent) hot rod application.......
    vintage air seems to be (very) minimal? is that it? being Friday i've had 27 bourbons, minimal application & minimal success. Being hot rods, minimal room for condenser, minimal room for compressor, and minimal room for ducting. The result (vintage air) MINIMAL RESULT in a very small area.

I have information that aftermarket kits (where you cut the glovebox) but then use the (genuine) ducting behind dash works very well on HQ-Z's

As I have 20+ Holdens to drive, and being the wrong side of "OLD", I am keen on making a plan to be comfortable when driving these QUALITY vehicles....

Please carry on.....

cheers
    Max

Banned
    You can get ones that you don’t need to cut out the glove box. Fan sits in front of the console and uses some of the original vents.

Yep, I might be a few years behind, but the aftermarket kits like that, work much cooler and easier to fit than the original.

Also, when you are using later Efi motors or heads, the original air box is a very tight fit

Thread Information