Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Airconditioning Installation Thread

Banned
    There is so much conflicting info out there, who knows what’s right.
    I read on a google search that Ingram made the adapter kit to fit the Sanden to the Harrison mount. Who knows if it’s still available though. I reckon you could fabricate something to make it fit though. With the actual Sanden mounting kit, it puts the compressor up higher (which makes life a million times easier to work on it) but it also moves it out of alignment with the lower crank pulley. They had a pulley that fitted inside the standard one or two row pulley but moved the belt slightly forward.

This is a great thread. If it helps, here are pics of a Sanden adaption in my WB (factory air). I chose a bracket kit that bolted to the existing cast GM bracket and it holds the Sanden a bit lower down on the side of the engine. Maybe useful info for ya?

20180718_124935.jpg

20180718_124944.jpg

20180718_124951.jpg

20180718_124959.jpg

20180718_125014.jpg

Damienenglang,

Thanks for those pics - they're awesome and very clear.
    Really helps to show whats going on.

You've challenged me to make my pics more clearer for everyone.
    I'm working on this at night, in a dimly lit shed, so I'm using that excuse for now!

Haha, no probs. I saw your updates and thought to go outside and snap a couple of shots (in daylight).

Interestingly, i just had a look at the pics i uploaded and noticed one item in one of the pics that's worth mentioning. The A/C shop that did the recommission on my system, recommended i add a low pressure cut out switch to protect the compressor if the gas leaked out. I agreed to add it and you can see it in the background of one of the pics with its electrical connections facing downwards. Not sure if the aftermarket system has this covered, but it might be worth considering.

Cheers, Damo

Banned
    As per usual I can’t upload photos.

Damo,

Thanks for the tip.

I have a guy helping me who claims to be an "expert", so I'll quiz him on that.

Tried to dummy up the Sanden compressor with the Factory compressor mounting plate.

The Sanden compressor has mounting holes in a square with centres 103mm apart. The holes are approx 10mm in diameter
    The Factory mounting plate has mounting holes (also in a square - although only three) with centres 107.5mm apart. The holes are approx 8mm in diameter.
    (N.B. These may not be 100% accurate, but will be within +/- 1mm, as i used a tape measure)

So it's not a "bolt on".

I have ordered the adaptor kit, so will see how that looks.

In a pinch, I could slot the holes in the mounting plate with just enough meat left to be ok - but I'll wait for the aftermarket plate.
    Last edited by Puzzigully; 19-07-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Cruiser
    The Sanden compressor was never factory fitted to any HK-WB Holden. They always fitted the GM/Delco/Harrison A6 unit.

GM-H did however offer a 'genuine' dealer-fitted a/c system for HX-WB, utilising the Sanden SD508 compressor. This was the system where you lost the rear half of the glovebox.

Where the confusion arises is that GM-H did use the Sanden SD508 compressor for the factory-fitted a/cond system in VC/VH Commodores.

AFAIK the low pressure switch mentioned is now a legal requirement in all states of Australia when retrofitting a/cond systems.

Dr Terry

Dr Terry,

Thanks for jumping in with that piece of knowledge

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzigully View Post
    Dr Terry,

Thanks for jumping in with that piece of knowledge
    Amongst other things I spent 35+ years fitting & servicing car air-conditioning.

If you have any other questions, I could probably help.

Dr Terry

Learner Driver
    Hi all

Would like to have the factory ac working in my HJ, the system needs gas as the compressor was degassed when the engine was removed for a rebuild and an engine bay tidy up. My question is, should I stay with the A6 Harrison compressor, or change to the Sanden type? Is the original A6 Harrison unit suitable for R134A gas? Searching the net it seems that genuine Sanden 508 compressors are scarce in aus (plenty in the us) but Sanden 508 style copies are readily available and not expensive. Is a Sanden Compressor a suitable replacement for the A6 type or is their another type that could work?
    Is anyone running the cheaper Sanden imitations or should I stick with genuine Sanden?
    Any advise is appreciated.

Thread Information