Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Airconditioning Installation Thread

Aftermarket Airconditioning Installation Thread

Following on from my previous inquiries, I've made the decision to go Aftermarket A/C.

Hopefully I document it well enough to help others.

After a lot of investigation and pricing components, my decision was based on the following:
    Factory A/C
    • The Factory A/C is seriously HUGE and looks terrible in the engine bay
    • The Factory parts are a challenge to find
    • By the time you find suitable components for restoration, then restore them, the cost works out no cheaper than Aftermarket
    • Once fully reconditioned it wont perform as well as Aftermarket

Dealer fitted A/C
    • Quite an innovative solution, but again a challenge to find suitable components for restoration
    • Bit like being "half pregnant" in that the functionality is a bit awkward
    • Once fully reconditioned it wont perform as well as Aftermarket

Aftermarket A/C
    Latest technology
    • I estimate the cost for components will be a tad over $2,000

NOTE: If you were a stickler for originality, you would NOT go down this route.
    I have a WB panel van, non original, so I'm chasing functionality over original restoration

As I'm restoring the HZ GTS dash at the same time, I removed the dash to make this easier.

Started with:
    IMG_7013.jpg
    IMG_7015.jpg

Then tore into it
    IMG_7281.jpg
    IMG_7284.jpg
    IMG_7285.jpg

Removed the heater core and all internal control box, demist and vent ducting
    Last edited by Puzzigully; 15-07-2018 at 11:35 AM.

I've chosen this Vintage air unit:
    vintage air unit.JPG
    It heats and cools and "allegedly" fits without having to cut into the glovebox ...... time will tell.

They also make a control panel that looks "almost" stock:
    IMG_8039.jpg

I'll be ordering the other parts this week, so once ordered, I'll put the part numbers in this thread.

Will be interested to see how you go with this, please keep us all updated !!

Leadfoot
    You could try contacting COOLDRIVE in Box Hill Victoria. They have been in the Automotive Air Conditioning for 50 years. Maybe they have something suitable or competitive.

Will watch this with interest as want to do the same thing

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Thanks mate. Something I am interested in

Can one of the moderators Edit the title of this thread to make it easier to search?

I meant to type "Aftermarket Air Conditioning Installation Thread"

Thanks

One important part is mounting the alternator and Compressor in the Engine bay.

There is a bewildering array of information out there for black, red and blue motors.

I have a WB panel van with a VL commodore motor.
    IMG_7302.jpg
    Here you can see the Alternator, but no provision for a compressor. (sorry about orientation of the pic, you need to tilt your head to the left)

So i had to find a mounting system that mounted the compressor and alternator in one bracket on the passenger side.

A buddy found the casting with compressor plate and rear support out of a WB statesman(I think)

I had to reuse the three holed plate and slotted tensioner plate, but it looks like it all bolts up nicely -except I do need to make a small spacer to space out one of the holes on the alternator top bracket.
    IMG_7303.jpg
    you can see the curved bracket that kinda "cradles" the compressor.

Apparently you need a simple conversion kit to bolt the sanden compressor in place of the OE one.

I'll wait to see what that looks like when it arrives.

Banned
    The Sanden was OE in late WB and VK. I can take a photo of it if you like. It sits up on top of the engine and makes life easier.

wbute - thanks for the input, I seem to recall some "internet disagreement", about whether or not the sanden was fitted to the WB...

I dont know, but will take what you say on board.

I have sourced a "dead" sanden to mock up, so if you are correct, it should just bolt straight up

Please send through pics as the more pics that get posted, the better information will be collected.

Thread Information