Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HJ Ute Power Steering Conversion

HJ Ute Power Steering Conversion

Hi Gang, first post here has anyone done either a power steering box or rack conversion haven't driven a p/s old Holden for decades is it worth the coin and hassle. Looking at easier parking and turning at low speeds the front end needs all rubbers and joints changed as they are mostly shot i know this will improve the turning effort just though while its apart add power steering at the same time.

Pretty easy conversion one you've bought everything. You will definitely find parking speeds easier especially if going fatter than standard tyres (I still don't think the non power steer is too bad on standard tyres). One criticism of the power steer back in the day was a bit of loss of feel, but maybe that's if you're driving around corners at 110%. I've got it in my premier and its fine, easy at low speeds, effortless

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman-SA View Post
    Hi Gang, first post here has anyone done either a power steering box or rack conversion haven't driven a p/s old Holden for decades is it worth the coin and hassle. Looking at easier parking and turning at low speeds the front end needs all rubbers and joints changed as they are mostly shot i know this will improve the turning effort just though while its apart add power steering at the same time.
    Putting power steer on my HJ Sandman Van now after a number of years. Have 225 x 14 on front, all rubbers and joints are quite new (did them Feb last year) and have always had a wheel alignment, drove it from QLD to VIC Christmas just gone and let me tell you, driving home through the Macquarie Pass convinced me that it was time.

When ever I drive my friends power steering HJ's to WB's you just want to punch yourself in the face for not having it, lol.

I have the engine out at the moment, giving it a freshen up, so fitting the steering box will be easier 4 bolts etc out and in and the steering arm.

Was pretty lucky I bought the pump, steering box, steering arm and hoses in great condition as well as all bolts, spacers and bracket for $350. Just repainting in satin black to tidy it up.

I will let you know how it all feels after fitting it but, if I were you I would fit it!

Blacks racks in W.A do power steering rack conversation kits to suit HQ-WB but I think castle main rod shop may have bought them out recently.

Thanks gentleman sounds like a job to be put on the things to do list really looking forward to doing it now. As for Black Racks $2800 is a bit rich for this mod even though a steering rack should give better steering feel.

Thanks once again.

As for Black Racks $2800 is a bit rich for this mod even though a steering rack should give better steering feel.

Yep I know what your saying, but unfortunately the original boxes are getting old and many second hand boxes and pumps need reconditioning and in many cases when you strip them you will find excessive ware in the gears and housing making it impractical to recondition them. Correct me if I am wrong but the blacks racks kit comes with the power steering pump, bracket and all the bits you need to convert to power steering. If your car needs new tie rods, steering arms, drag rod, idler arm, steering column coupling etc plus the price of a box and possible reconditioning, plus the pump, brackets hoses and drive belts I reckon the price may be close to the blacks rack kit.

If you can find a good original box that's in good condition go for it, but be carful. A box that only needs a seal kit put through it and the case and gears are perfect the going price these days generally cost between $350-500.

Hey guys. I've done a Blacks Racks install on my WB van project. There's a couple of pics over on my thread if you want to check it out. I think I've picked out the correct page in the link below...

http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...ghlight=woohoo

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    Hey guys. I've done a Blacks Racks install on my WB van project. There's a couple of pics over on my thread if you want to check it out. I think I've picked out the correct page in the link below...

http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...ghlight=woohoo
    Thats a beefy rack looks neat. Wow what a project well done so far mate BTW dont you work i cant believe how much you have done on your project.

Hey Sandman-SA, thanks for that. Its certainly been an interesting project, but unfortunately i do have to work. Its probably the timeline getting compressed on the forum that makes it look like lots of progress. Hope the rack pics help you with a decision for which way you want to go on your machine. Cheers

Sorry for the thread steal but does the power steering in a HZ use the shorter steering arms or long ones
    can someone tell which ones ??
    its been a long time ive forgotten so much about these cars in 24 years my vans been off the road
    its like going back to school again learning so much from this site
    cheers G.

Thread Information