Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandman Esky

Learner Driver

Sandman Esky

Sorry if this has already been covered before but I scored a new in the box Willow Esky and on the box it is noted as Sandman does anyone know if this was a Holden promotional item

Can’t answer the question, but that’s a really great accessory to go with your Sandman. Wouldn’t be too many around. Cheers.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

It's hard to say if it was a promotional item or just a way to sell a few more Willow coolers.
    The printed design doesn't have anything Holden in or about it and the Sandman font doesn't resemble Holden ever used.
    But it is a cool item and would look good sitting with a Sandman on display. Certainly not the first one I've seen but your advantage is the Sandman marked box/packaging!
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Looks like a sandman scenery at the time ..
    A hz sea witch theme ..
    Very nice find with box and esky ...great.

Banned
    Can’t see a GMH logo on it anywhere. Promotional stuff might have been a fair few years in the future I reckon.
    But... it’s brand new in the box and has Sandman on it so it will be worth 40 times it’s value today.
    By the way, ask any shearer or rousabout what they reckon of those eskies after the lid blew off on the back of the ute, never to be found ever again.
    Nice find.

How many times ..
    Real inconvenience !

Only ever seen one of those before my mate displays it with his SS Torana hatchback at shows

Learner Driver
    I emailed willow and the earliest catalogue that they could find with this item in it was from the mid 80’s. The box is stamped November 1979 however they couldn’t confirm whether it had anything to do with the Holden Sandman either. But yes it looks great in the back of my van

Leadfoot
    GMH were a lot slower in recognising trademark infringements than Ford. Ford had a global licensing outlook while Holden were locally based. They hardly looked at the marketing aspect until the late 80's early 90's. They then followed the US style of issuing legal requests to stop and desist using their registered names or logos. At one stage I had a list of both of GMH & Ford for their registrations, which was very comprehensive. This was due to the discussions and agreements about the Restoration Parts Program with Rare Spares over many years. It took a long time for anyone at GMH to make a decision until Mark Reuss as Managing Director took action and completed it within a year.
    It may be worth writing to someone like Repco or Autobarn that could have a library of their old catalogues, even older established parts accessory shops may have retained brochures. They may have been advertised in some of the auto books that have been around since that time. Sometimes perseverance is required to track down information.

Thread Information