Thread: borg warner conversion

Learner Driver

borg warner conversion

Can anyone advise me as to which borg warner (out of which car) would be suitable as a conversion in my WB panel van. Looking for a borg warner that is close to the length of a 10 bolt salisbury, LSD, 3:08 ratio (or close to). Seems 10 bolt salisbury diffs are near hard to find in good condition and i need a diff to put in my van to get it up and running. Considering a 9inch diff if all else fails. Running gear that will be going into the van is a 5.7 and T700. Dont plan on running really wide rims and tires at the back just 8inch or 9inch will be sufficient for my needs. Disc brake rear end will be a must to get it registered and mod plated.Any information will be appreciated.
    Regards
    Jon

A straight bolt in 10 bolt B/W would be the go, they are still available you just need to keep looking. Due to them showing their age tracking down a good L.S.D 3.08 is going to be a bit harder. if you cant find a leaf spring assembly diff you might be able to track down a coil spring housing and weld on the spring pads, very easy to do. If you manage to track a late model diff from a statesman they have disc brakes. Experience has told me 10 bolt B/W are real only good enough for around 350hp before you can start to run into reliability problems. The gearset is the weakest link. Don't get me wrong they are much stronger than the smaller axle breaking bango setup but still have their limits.

Hate to say it but you might be better off with a 9" and have a wide choice of components(LSD, axles & brakes) and ratio choices.

Learner Driver
    9inch would be a great set up, certainly haven't ruled it out. Castlemaine Rod shop have them but the price is right up there. Might have to bite the bullet.

I don't think an engineer would make you fit a disc brake rear end for compliance. Is the 5.7 an LS engine.? If so its not going to be an all original van so fitting an O.E diff wouldn't be important. I'm not a real 9" diff fan, they are heavy, not as strong standard as many people boast about especially the Ford boys, and can get a bit expensive depending on the spec, but there are parts everywhere and a heap of quality aftermarket components for them makes the 9" very popular. If your going to run a T700, 2.78-1 ratio would be a good choice if choosing a 10 bolt. From memory HZ-WB statesman's had 2.78 with rear disc setup if you still want rear disc brake.

Learner Driver
    motor and gearbox are out of a vy ss commodore. Not so concerned about keeping it original. Just want to update the running gear and build a good driving van to suit my needs and ideas. Originally i thought about fitting a WB Statesman diff and converting it to suit a panel van but here in Tasmania it is getting extremely hard to find a good diff or components

Once was and maybe still is? Commercial vehicles had to have an emergency handbrake (not a park brake).
    Make sure your disc brake conversion complies or at least get the heads up on it before you start.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Banned
    Last edited by wbute; 26-01-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Learner Driver
    can anyone recommend a good place where i can buy a reco borg warner diff conversion and get it shipped to Tassie???looking for a conversion that will go straight in??

Thread Information