Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 253 wont start / run

Modifying wiring for electronic dizzy is definately the first thing to look at

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    The yellow wire is likely the resistance wire. Put a multimeter on it and test the voltage on crank and off crank. The electronic dizzy need 12 volts all the time.
    For standard wiring the 7v resistance wire is actually from the switch (steering column below the key) to the inside of the firewall connector. The 12v wire on start up runs in parallel from the switch (but only in start mode) to the same fire wall connector. On the engine side you've only got the yellow coming out of the connector, and it is either getting 12v on start or 7v on run. So if you haven't bypassed the 7v resistor wire for electonic dizzy you'll only be getting 7v once running

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    For standard wiring the 7v resistance wire is actually from the switch (steering column below the key) to the inside of the firewall connector. The 12v wire on start up runs in parallel from the switch (but only in start mode) to the same fire wall connector. On the engine side you've only got the yellow coming out of the connector, and it is either getting 12v on start or 7v on run. So if you haven't bypassed the 7v resistor wire for electonic dizzy you'll only be getting 7v once running
    Thanks mate, I gave up and put a twin point Mallory in and got it to fire.
    Have a rebuilt rotchester on it is a bitch to start, once it is warm it will idle nice, but put it in gear and stalls.
    I think I have a vacuum problem because I changed the car by for a Holley I had and did the same thing.
    I will try with brake clean to see if I can find a leak, but this is doing my head in. I have never had a car so determined not to live.
    We have a big car show here next weekend and I want to get it ready for that. At this rate may be a trailer queen for this one.
    Anyway any help anyone can give I would really appreciate

Ok so I fixed it.
    1. Timing chain out by one link. Always remember it is dot to bright link not dot to dot and nine links apart
    2. Quadrajets need vacuum to set idle screws, no vacuum no adjustment
    3. Quadrajet adjustments and settings need to be done in gear in an auto or it will stall
    4. Buy a vacuum gauge to set timing and mixture invaluable
    5. Ran a relay and fitted the electronic distributor, it is much happier
    All in all I learnt a lot from this experience. Now he has a car might move back on to the first van.

Thanks everyone for your help
    Last edited by Wombat7051; 30-06-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Thread Information