Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 253 wont start / run

253 wont start / run

Hey guys
    I haven’t been on here in a while but I have a quick question.
    I have done a dingle ball hone on my dads 253
    Put it back together and reset everything, put in an electronic dizzy and a rebuilt rotchester on top.
    Turn the key the motor tries to fire and starts to run but only with the help of the starter, let go the key and it just stops.
    Starting to really get to me, have checked timing, spark, fuel, tdc, every thing I can think of, please help

Leadfoot
    The resistor wire reduces volts to about 7v once the key is let go, puts 12v to coil on starting, you will need to bypass the resistor wire to alloy 12volts at coil all the time for electronic distributor to work.

The resistance wire is a solid core wire typically covered in a cotton braid.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Ok so there are two wires from the dizzy to the coil. 1 is green the other black, the yellow from the wire harness to the positive, green to positive and black to negative. Is this right?

The yellow wire is likely the resistance wire. Put a multimeter on it and test the voltage on crank and off crank. The electronic dizzy need 12 volts all the time.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Thanks innuendo, sooner I get his done the sooner I can get him back on the van

If you have just put in the electronic cool for the first time, it needs different wiring done, as said to give 12volts all the time

Hey all, gave up and decided to use another 253 I had. Pulled the manifold and no cross over hole, but one on the heads. Would that have caused problems?

Not sure which hole you're referring to, some don't line up and just blank off. Problem would have been as identified above if you didn't rewire specifically for the electronic dizxy

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat7051 View Post
    Hey all, gave up and decided to use another 253 I had. Pulled the manifold and no cross over hole, but one on the heads. Would that have caused problems?
    I think the exhaust crossover will help warm the inlet manifold for better fuel burn when the engine is cold and also allow the mechanical choke heater to operate if you've got one...might be wrong on the fuel burn bit, but i'm convinced i've read it someplace.

Thread Information