Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HZ key barrel not fitting properly

P Plater

HZ key barrel not fitting properly

I have a steering column with the key barrel not snug. It is sticking out about 4-5mm, before I pull it apart can anyone give me some ideas as to the cause. P.S. I have read all of the great stuff on the forum about steering columns.

P Plater
    The steering column I'm fitting has a chrome barrel with wings top and bottom so I suspect not HZ.

That might be normal. I think mine are like that too (so used to it I'd have to look specifically), but you depress it as you turn it out of the lock position into the on position. Is that how yours is working?

And yes, with 2 wings from an earlier model

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawso View Post
    The steering column I'm fitting has a chrome barrel with wings top and bottom so I suspect not HZ.
    Early HZ (those built in 1977) still have the chrome barrel with 2 wings.

The single wing, black barrel type came in for ADR25A in Jan/Feb 1978.

Dr Terry

P Plater
    Yes that's right. I am fitting a reconditioned steering column from the earlier model (hence the chrome barrel), I still have my late HZ steering column with the black one wing barrel. I rotate the chrome barrel but it does not depress for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    Early HZ (those built in 1977) still have the chrome barrel with 2 wings.

The single wing, black barrel type came in for ADR25A in Jan/Feb 1978.

Dr Terry
    My 4/78 XU3 plated Van I had from 81-91 had a silver single wing ignition and silver glove box lock, but I suppose there could have been variance between plants

The silver GM Keys will have a letter stamped on/into the key from A - thru - E and they are all the same key with different lengths.
    Could be a simple as the wrong length key vs the barrel. Same is even true for the plastic head keys.

If you have a 4 digit code on a genuine barrel I can factory punch cut a genuine GM key for your barrel. If it is a Chinese aftermartket replacement product then I can't help.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

P Plater
    Thanks for your help. The keys have GM stamped on them and the letter A. Good info I didn't know that. So the barrel snugs tighter at the lock positions with 1-2mm gap. Then rides up to about 3-4mm in the on position. I can then further pull it out to about 6mm in the on position. Feels like it's missing a retaining clip or something.

The ignition barrel locks in with a depress preloaded metal tab. With the steering wheel off and indicator switch removed you will see a slot that a flat blade screwdriver can be placed to depress the metal retaining tab. If the tab is not in place correctly the barrel will float about in the hole. From memory the key position should be in accessories position to be able to depress correctly and then whilst depressed turn the key to start and remove in a pulling/twisting motion.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

P Plater
    My steering wheel is of. Can I remove the indicator switching gear and then assess the ignition barrel without removing the steering column?

Thread Information