Thread: Heater Box Resto

Heater Box Resto

image.jpegSo im about to under take a full resto on ( yes daunting i know ) but thats for another day

Question - 1 Can i pull this apart and rebuild it

What is the best method to clean up the old goo on the inside of plastic heater box cover
    image.jpeg

Cruiser
    prepsole may be or a low heat hair dryer first to soften it up its been so long since I did it I for get cheers rocky

P Plater
    I have just filled the random holes in my AC air box,the one on the motor side. Did you refurb yours? If so what did you paint the plastic box with?

Sandman Driver
    Painting plastic can be tricky, it depends on so many things. That said, I did once paint the air/heaterbox on my Torana years ago, I just cleaned the airbox really throughly and used el-cheapo matt black, it came up fine, gloss may have looked better, I dunno, but of course, once painted it will never look original. That said they do tend to discolour, I can imagine many owners paint them. A good second hand one is probably around 100 bucks.

I haven't painted anything yet but painting plastic is easy once you know the right additives to use with your paint

Sandman Driver
    It tends to depend on the plastic I think, but I suppose, for that application, one could pretty easily test the paint on the inside of the air box. Dulux duramax should easy do it. but probably also any cheaper spray, if it goes wonky in one section then sand and respray, is what I usually do, eventually it usually comes up alright.

P Plater
    Good genuine AC heater boxes are hard to find. Considering the slightly different colour of the 2 pack black resin I used to fill the holes and that it was previously painted, I think a plastic specific paint is my best bet. It seems that heat is not an issue so I'll go with the gloss paint option. Thanks for your advice.

Banned
    I painted mine with black plastic paint 18 years ago. Still looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    image.jpegSo im about to under take a full resto on ( yes daunting i know ) but thats for another day

Question - 1 Can i pull this apart and rebuild it

What is the best method to clean up the old goo on the inside of plastic heater box cover
    image.jpeg
    I have restored a few mate, actually, I have sold 5 this year.

Clean up any "goo" with turps then prepsol.

I used a Wattyl ag satin black, even have that on my heater box.
    I rubbed with steel wool, I see you have different "levels" of paint height, try to feather them out with sand paper. It's all about making the substrate good enough for adherence.You can actually spray straight onto that if you want but I used an etch primer which is pretty thin so if you make a mistake rubbing it is nearly impossible. I applied plenty of coats. Make sure you observe drying times and the elements that go with it.

I have actually got an unpainted in very good condition HQ heater box for sale. Air con type. Original foam gasket with a date stamp if anybody is interested.
    Last edited by HJ_Blue_Van; 07-05-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Thread Information