Thread: Aircon after market

Aircon after market

Who has or who has installed an after market air conditioning unit in there van or ute?
    Pro and cons as well as pictures please.
    Are going down the track of fitting an after market one.
    Looking at vintage air.

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Pretty sure there is a thread about this somewhere on here

Yes have seen it.
    But want pictures and people’s thoughts on them.mainly wanting the underdash ones

Cheers Kiwivan

Underdash, not integrated?

I put integrated in my WB PV and love it (thread on here)

I also put an underdash A/C in my Falcon XY (don't hate me) and while it's very cold, it takes away passenger foot space and freezes my GF's arse off - its fine if its just me in the car.
    I'd go integrated every time

I did think of fitting an underdash A/C in the roof, blowing forward - wouldn't lose foot room I guess.

Banned
    I have fitted factory integrated. I have always hated under dash and after market AC in HQ-WB. No doubt they work ok but I can’t stand the idea of punching holes in the floor pan for drain hoses and modifying factory wiring etc. when you try to fix a car after these installation you just wonder why they went down that road.
    Remember these cars are not daily drivers that will end up in a car yard with AC written across the windscreen as a sales incentive. That’s long gone, these days the draw card is originality. I know the show scene in vans has kicked off again and people are going down the modification route, but that market is minuscule in an already small market.

I've got factory A/C in both 1 tonner and panel van project, but I once explored dual zones in the van and my A/C shop suggested adding an aftermarket box to the rear of the van in the void panels and then pushing 4 x ducted vents to different spots in the back. The front would use the factory air and the back would run separate. I wanted it to run when parked up but couldn't figure out a suitable electric compressor solution.

AC Box.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    I've got factory A/C in both 1 tonner and panel van project, but I once explored dual zones in the van and my A/C shop suggested adding an aftermarket box to the rear of the van in the void panels and then pushing 4 x ducted vents to different spots in the back. The front would use the factory air and the back would run separate. I wanted it to run when parked up but couldn't figure out a suitable electric compressor solution.

AC Box.jpg
    That’s the same problem with refrigerated utes or vans. You can either run it off the engine or use a generator/mains when parked. That’s why trucks use those evaporative coolers on their sleepers as they only need to run a water pump and a blower.

Here in New Zealand difficult to find parts to go original.
    Can an early commodore one be modified to fit?
    It’s just getting to uncomfortable to travel in summer time.
    So it’s that or maybe time for me to move her on?
    So yes wanting to find out about under dashboard units.

Cheers Kiwivan

Hey, Happy to help, here's a link on my install http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...ght=vintageair

I am currently having a factory air cond installed I purchase it out a HJ statesman and having a professional fitted

Thread Information