Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HX Sandman project.

Banned
    003845A5-E1C3-4A4F-8DFF-1677DD1EF173.jpeg
    I cut the patch panel out of the red WB. It’s got massive rust in the quarters and beaver panel plus the passenger side quarter has a huge bend in it at the B pillar. So it looks ok in the photo but it’s only good for cutting up.
    As I said earlier, the Adelaide built WB is quite different to the Sydney built HX. The spot welds are much more defined on the WB, plus everywhere the HX has panels attached, they have welded and ground down the edges. The WB has the edges left uncovered. Hard to explain I guess.
    Last edited by wbute; 31-07-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    That's par for the course to find that under screen rubbers. Tack in a small replacement bit of metal going to be easier than whole panel for sure
    I did think I was going to find no rust there! It looked clean as a whistle on the drivers side. But when I cut out that damaged bit on the drivers side I found a hole in the plenum. So I bet it’s worse on the other side. I don’t think I will ever be happy unless I have a look in there.
    Last edited by wbute; 31-07-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    I’ve got a HX ute parts car sitting on the farm. I’ll try to remember to get some pictures in case you need any little patch panels. Can never remember if the body is any good.
    What haven’t you got on that farm mate🤣🤣🤣

Just keep chipping away at it, concentrate on one bit at a time. Don't try and do bit here and there just the one section before going to the next. Before you know it it will all start to come together. Looks like it will be a nice build.

Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by Gaddy View Post
    What haven’t you got on that farm mate������
    Well for starters, not a mint condition HX ute body thats for sure.

There have been a few additions since last time we caught up though. Suprising I know.

Banned
    DED18D39-B260-4CDC-9DC0-41083195F91F.jpeg
    Roof skin off. More rust. No more sun roof. I am going to put the whole roof skin on off the red WB. Hopefully it’s as rust free as it looks before I touch it.
    I seriously wonder how much rust is left in some restorations when only the rust in the outside skin is cut out. Not sure I would be handing over 100K plus for a Sandman unless I could see photos of it being restored.

You can see where the factory never treated them. I thought they were supposed to be dipped from HQ on, but that obviously that didn't get into the roof frame.

Banned
    Yeah I am not sure what they dipped them in, but it’s all just bare metal under the roof skin and quarter panel. I wish they had just blown a bit of paint on under the skin bit I guess they were on a budget.
    I have pulled the skin off the red WB. Its amazing how roughly assembled it is, but only on one side! When I melted the lead wiping off the passenger side seam you can see a shitty looking patch and some dodgy looking welding. Plus the spot welds are all over the place. It’s neat as a pin on the drivers side. The apprentice must have done the passenger side.

Banned
    Sunroof gone. Still plenty of work to do before the skin gets welded on though!

041B5BB6-EAD3-426A-B99D-F67B82F0DA25.jpeg

You're making some good progress. Kudos for just getting stuck in and tackling it head on. Looks much better, even if just mocked up at the moment

Thread Information