Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deceased Estate Help Please

Learner Driver

Deceased Estate Help Please

Hi. I am new to the forum. It looks like a great community and a wealth of knowledge is clear already from my short time here. I have been involved in the FX/FJ Community for ever but this is my first time playing around with some of the newer cars like Sandman's haha.

I am chasing some opinions.

I and my sister have recently inherited a sandman "style" van from my stepfather and I am trying to sort a few things out with it.

I say "style" because it is really hard to tell what happened in this vans history. There are a lot of little things with it that are clearly sandman options. But there are also a lot of things that are a little confusing too.

We always thought that the van was a clean HQ van. Since his passing we have found a full set of original XX7 plates (HX orange 308HC & M21 black interior) in his dresser draw. the vehicle is registered with HZ plates on it as of today. Someone close told me these were put on because they didn't want it stolen...?????

So yea, Its a bit of a mess. Although I haven't been traditionally a Sandman guy I have been around Holden's my whole life so I knew enough what to look for. Because of the change of paint and a good, but not factory resto (chrome trim etc) ... I really don't know. Hence the sandman "style" van. and there are way more things that convince me that its just a HZ van with a sandman front end.

So what we need to do now is establish a price as the van is in estate and myself and my sister are the heirs to it.

There are many family members that my stepdad told he was leaving it too (He liked the odd beer too) and these promises usually came after a few beers. So I have come here because I know you guys would be probably the most knowledgeable in the country when it comes to the prices of these vans. I know I have kept an eye of FJ sales for 20 years, I'm sure some of you are the same here.

Two questions I have.

1. What would you put as a fair sale price on the van as you see it? not as a sandman. just as a clean van. I know this is a hard question as I hate seeing these posts too in other forums. If the van is to be sold within the family though we need a starting ***realistic*** price. Not an Ebay dream price. because its in an Estate it has to be fair. Im still not sure if I'll just buy the other half out from my sister yet.

2. Do you know anyone that can do accurate valuations on these vehicles? My sister is a long way from a car person and just wants to get someone local to came and value it. My concern is... I don't think most car valuers will have a clue.

Thanks for letting me join your community. and sorry my first post is a bit of a strange one. it is a nice van none the less. 308, M21, Mophius purple (commodore color)

Cheers. and thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

cool looking van, id doubt its a sandman, looks to be trying too hard. (just my opinion)

Whats the chassis number? Does it match the id tags?

It would be worth heaps more without that fugly thing on the bonnet

Learner Driver
    Haha. Good response. If I do buy it off the estate it’s the first thing to go!

- - - Updated - - -

Chassis number represents a HZ van. But looks like it’s been messed with. The strange photo in one of the pics is one of the cutouts in the front apron. Are they not specific to sandman’s? I am new to this...

Banned
    As stated, what tags does the Chassis number match. What are the tags on the van now?
    As soon as you mention spare tags in a drawer everyone thinks it’s dodgy. No one ever takes the legitimate tags off to fit incorrect ones for security. Maybe they store the tags if it’s in the process of being restored.
    Value? It’s hard to know. There is no accurate value. Somewhere between 10K and 100K?

- - - Updated - - -

It’s a Statesman grill, and a white needle dash, so there are things that are incorrect for HZ Sandman.
    Last edited by wbute; 25-08-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Looks good. To answer your own question concerning what make it is/which tags belong to it, as Max said look to the chassis number actually stamped on the chassis rail near the steering box. That should match the one on the compliance tag. That will be the van's true identity.

Put all the tag details up here and all will be revealed

Learner Driver
    Yep. Matches the tags currently on the vehicle.just reiterating the first post. We are not selling this as a sandman. Nor am I Looking to rebadge it. The Sandman Tags found were for a HX. As far as how dodgy it sounds that I found them in his draw... well that’s what happened. We have the badges locked away and have no idea what we will do with them. The Vans current registered Chassis number matching its Tags as a HZ van. And that’s what we are working off to value it.

Sorry if that was confusing. I don’t want to know what its worth as a possible sandman. Because I genuinely believe its not .. I just want an idea as to its value as a clean van.

Cutouts in front apron were on G.T.S. sedans & were hand cut out & could be on anything. I remember at the time (late 70s , early 80s) there were heaps on kingswood utes & tonners, getting around, that were dealer delivered with dual headlight fronts, flutes in guards & spoilers.

Banned
    As a street machine it’s hard to know. It looks like a nice van. Probably better off asking on somewhere like the Magestic Vanners site/Facebook page. They might have a good idea on a van like that.
    As for the XX7 tags, they are a great curiosity but without the chassis they belong to they are collector value. I want saying anyone was dodgy regarding your other tags, just that they probably need to be kept completely separate to the van you have to sell. Sorry, no offence was intended.
    Last edited by wbute; 25-08-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Learner Driver
    Model- HZ8WM70
    BODY - 435097 A
    TRIM - 1930-67C
    PAINT- 568-30521
    L20. M40. GV7

The sandman tags just for information sake are-

MODEL -HX8WM70. XX7
    BODY- 3963288
    TRIM - 1916 67V
    PAINT - 568 17777

L31. M21. GV4.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    As a street machine it’s hard to know. It looks like a nice van. Probably better off asking on somewhere like the Magestic Vanners site/Facebook page. They might have a good idea on a van like that.

Thanks, Ill have a look.

Thread Information