Thread: Correct engine year date coding for HX

Learner Driver

Correct engine year date coding for HX

Hey guys
    Thanks for letting me join your crew!

I’m looking at a sandman that Im in the process of talking the owner into selling. I’ve seen some HJ’s and HX’s with 308’s with the blocks date coded 1974? Is the normal on some models or ifs it’s a 1976 HX for example it should have a date coded block showing 76? It’s supposed to be “numbers matching”. I just want to be educated so I know there’s nothing dodgy going on.
    Please help legends.
    Cheers
    Reece

Good question Reece..
    Im thinking the dated block would not want to be to far from the stamp date on the compliance plates...for a hx a 74 date block would be to far out ...id be weary of anything outside 6 months ?
    I'm interested to hear other people's advice.

G'day Reece. I'm no expert, but I think generally around 8 - 12 weeks before the build date on the tags, is normal unless there was some factory delay.
    Just check you are coding the engine correctly, or put the numbers & tag info up here for someone to advise.
    Alternately ask Byron on fastlane.com.au he should be able to give advice if it lines up with other cars built at same time.
    Ben at H.H.S. (Holden Historical) has holden production documents, & will give you certification for around $90

Good luck with the purchase
    Max

Bang all the tag details and engine number here and someone will tell you if its the correct engine for that car

Banned
    The block should be around two months older than the build date. However you can’t know matching number unless you have the original owners manual with the engine number or get a HHS certificate confirming the numbers, if they have them.
    A HX definitely won’t have a 74 block in it from the factory.

No way will a HX have a 1974 block.
    A maximum of 2 to 3 months date separation is normal. HX also had to comply with more stringent ADR pollution rules.
    How and are you interpreting the engine code correctly?
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Thread Information