Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HQ grille badge

P Plater
    HI Dr Terry I know what your saying but it doesn't look faded, I think it was all ways all black.
    Len

I've got an original 2/ 74 it's blue round the outside black round the lion

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    I disagree. I remember the '71 release well & the HQ grille badge was always multi coloured.

Also there is only one part no. from '71 to '74, no change. GM-H always changed part numbers no matter how small the change in production.

I think it's a bit like the FB/EK horn buttons, where they where supplied by 2 (or more) outside suppliers. They started out all the same colour, but due to different production methods & slightly different plastic compounds, they have aged differently. Now 50 years later the badges from supplier A, looks different to the ones from supplier B.

Dr Terry
    I have always known them as early's and late. I don't know the exact dates and agree likely different suppliers to Holden (and same part numbers) but one was always black. It is not faded.
    Ask Snape he like me has wrecked 100's or 1000's of HQ over the years.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    I have always known them as early's and late. I don't know the exact dates and agree likely different suppliers to Holden (and same part numbers) but one was always black. It is not faded.
    Ask Snape he like me has wrecked 100's or 1000's of HQ over the years.
    Sorry I don't agree. I worked on 100s of these cars when they were brand new, not a few years old & they were always multi-coloured.

I also remember vividly when the HJ was released with its new no colour badge which was the first one with the new (long tailed) Lion. It was a noticeable change.

As I said earlier these things aged quickly & it didn't take long for the red / blue to disappear. I reckon some would have been replaced under warranty due to the early fading. Maybe the later version had better quality pigments.

There would be no logical reason for GM-H to go from the red/blue version, which they've had since EH & Torana to black only & then back the red/blue for the later HQ.

Dr Terry
    Last edited by Dr Terry; 26-06-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Hi; I have a 8/71 Sydney-built HQ with what I believe is the original Premier grille (silver vertical bars). It had a black and silver badge insert with some flaking of the black. I initially thought it had faded and replaced it with a Rare Sprares coloured reproduction.

Dad previously had a near-new 12/73 Sydney-built HQ which had the coloured badge. Over time the red then blue faded to opaque / clear; there was no black in the background.

I think Innuendo has confirmed my suspicions, as they are definitely painted differently.

OK, I'm likely wrong or mistaken then. It's still a HQ Grill badge.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
    Hi; I have a 8/71 Sydney-built HQ with what I believe is the original Premier grille (silver vertical bars). It had a black and silver badge insert with some flaking of the black. I initially thought it had faded and replaced it with a Rare Sprares coloured reproduction.

Dad previously had a near-new 12/73 Sydney-built HQ which had the coloured badge. Over time the red then blue faded to opaque / clear; there was no black in the background.

I think Innuendo has confirmed my suspicions, as they are definitely painted differently.

I have a new old stock black one that I have just attempted to find in my masses of crap.
    I didn't find it so I can't prove at this stage. When my HQ Sandman is complete it will be fitted.
    I did manage to find NOS FJ, FE, FC, FC, EK, EJ/EH ones while looking so that was some sort of reward for my time.

HQ Brochures show mainly coloured version 71-74. Some photos look black but the resolution isn't good enough to say one way or the other.
    Last edited by Innuendo; 26-06-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine

Selling HJ 253 Engine

Selling HJ 253 Engine

Thread Information