Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 🤞It's a sandman

Learner Driver

🤞It's a sandman

Hi all, new to this forum stuff so forgive me if I stuff a few things up 😬

Back in 2006 I purchased a van advertised as a '75 HJ SANDMAN 95% COMPLETE' for $4500 (if I remember correctly). Soon after purchasing I started on the rebuild, stripping it back to bare metal, removing any rust and fixing any damage (not that there was much) and laying a coat of undercoat on before I ran out of money, so I put it in the shed and it's sat there to this day!
    I always figured it was a sandman cause of the full headlining but never done any other research into it.
    Anyway I may be able to get back into it soon and I'm now trying to decide whether to go original or to how I want it, being if its a ridgy didge sandy then original it will go. If not, then to how I want it will be its future. So if someone could help me with the id I'd muchly appreciate it.

My plates are as follows:
    HJ PANEL VAN
    07/75 BHJ28538A
    GVW 2200 SEAT. 2

HJ8WM70
    157690.A
    1901-19 V
    567-15947
    L31
    M21
    GV4
    8M70TEL315468J

Would also like to decode the paint and interior codes if anyone knows them? TIA

Happy vanning!

The paint colour is "Satin Mist Metallic"
    The Trim is "Black"

It is more than likely a Sandman. Metallic paint is a good pointer on top of the usual things.
    You are best to visit www.holdenhistoricalservices.com.au and get yourself a certificate to lock it in.
    Last edited by Innuendo; 04-08-2020 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Learner Driver
    Thanks for the info! Have sent an email off for the VPR and awaiting a reply.

Interesting that it was painted in Satin Mist Metallic! To my recollection, I haven't seen any in this colouring! Is this a common colour or could it be rare?

With the trim, I have heard there was 2 different types of black, as in vinal (the other type, I can't put my finger on). From the tags (or any other indicator) is there a way of knowing?

Learner Driver
    Ben sent an email back asking for any numbers stamped into the body/she'll, but from my recollection, the Adelaide build HJ didn't have any. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickle1979 View Post
    Thanks for the info! Have sent an email off for the VPR and awaiting a reply.

Interesting that it was painted in Satin Mist Metallic! To my recollection, I haven't seen any in this colouring! Is this a common colour or could it be rare?

With the trim, I have heard there was 2 different types of black, as in vinal (the other type, I can't put my finger on). From the tags (or any other indicator) is there a way of knowing?
    I would say the colour wasn't common but this is likely because it simply wasn't popular at the time. I have though seen them over the years.
    With the trim you had Slate Black 18V and Black 19V both were used in HJ Sandman's. There was different "grains" used but this is typically long grain and roebuck. Pretty sure HJ were long grain. Sandpaper grain in latter models on certain parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickle1979 View Post
    Ben sent an email back asking for any numbers stamped into the body/she'll, but from my recollection, the Adelaide build HJ didn't have any. Am I right?
    I'd say you are right. Only Sydney/Pagewood stamped the firewall from what I remember.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine

Yeah, it's definitely one of the lesser seen colours and looks good. I'll find a link and post soon. 19v is a good hint to Sandman, and I'd be having money on this being one. Lovely drive train too. I'd be doing it original whether sandman or not with the top of the tree drivetrain

Learner Driver
    Good Evening Gentlemen,
    seeing as I'm somewhat technically challenged and can't work out how to start my own thread I'll just jump in on this one , The subject is right.
    looking at a HQ 8M70TDH3242**Q
    model HQ80270
    body 3242**B
    trim 1885 30B
    paint 568 1589
    L31 M21 GV2
    7/74 seat cap 2
    being Brisbane built with no xx7 I'm assuming it's not the holy grail but have caught wind of the odd brisbane built car that missed the stamper (i'm hoping)
    haven't found anything on the color charts ?? or trim info ?
    can anyone help ?

I'd buy it anyway Dog. Burgendy and black. Great van, sandman or not.

See the link to holden historic services report above if you want a definite answer

Learner Driver
    I'm leaning that way, yep i spotted that have already emailed them.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dognutley View Post
    Good Evening Gentlemen,
    seeing as I'm somewhat technically challenged and can't work out how to start my own thread I'll just jump in on this one , The subject is right.
    looking at a HQ 8M70TDH3242**Q
    model HQ80270
    body 3242**B
    trim 1885 30B
    paint 568 1589
    L31 M21 GV2
    7/74 seat cap 2
    being Brisbane built with no xx7 I'm assuming it's not the holy grail but have caught wind of the odd brisbane built car that missed the stamper (i'm hoping)
    haven't found anything on the color charts ?? or trim info ?
    can anyone help ?
    This one is the same spec as my HQ Sandman, although mine is an Adelaide build.

568 15894 = Burgundy
    30B = Black Trim
    L31 = 308
    M21 = 4 Speed
    GV2 = 3.36:1 Diff Ratio

You will still be looking for evidence of it being a Sandman.
    Console Brackets, Paint Black Outs, Decal Remnants, Fluted Guards without GTS badge holes under, Wooden Seat Backs.
    '74 console had large open hole with blanking ashtray plug in read and look for stalk type seat belts.

Matching chassis number to body tag.

Got photos?
    Selling HJ 253 Engine

Thread Information