Thread: Heater air duct

Heater air duct

Got the heater removed engine side today in the HJ to replace/fix leaky core. Are these worth/able fixing or just buy a rare spares one? Secondly the round air duct behind the glove box that leads to the round hole in firewall and leads to fan I've got a finger width gap and no gasket/foam or whatever was there. What should it have?
    Last edited by Sandaro; 21-11-2020 at 08:45 PM.

A few years ago, I asked my radiator repairer about leaky heater cores, & he said it was hard to work on & quite often still leaked, & the only way he would do it was to buy another new core similar size & adapt that to work. He said to buy whatever was available, not sure if he was just being lazy. I would always worry about the quality of repo ones, but may not have much choice. Up until recently there was still original a/con heater cores available through natra, not sure about now.
    Foam goes between the footwell box & firewall, I presume just make it to suit. I recently bought, some for the top of that box, where it screws up to the plenum, off eBay, but could've done a better job myself!

Now, another question on this subject, I've got my footwell box out, & the rubber seal on the flap inside this, the rubber is as hard as a rock, anyone seen replacement rubber for the flipper flap?

P Plater
    I replaced the heater core in my HQ with an aluminium aftermarket one Rare Spares (or Kingswood Country? - I don’t remember) core about 5 years ago. It fitted fine and I’ve not had any issues.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Max, is the one you are talking about like a plastic cover strip about 10mm wide?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    Max, is the one you are talking about like a plastic cover strip about 10mm wide?
    OK, I went & had an actual look at the vent flap, & it appears to be 2 discs of tin (Milo tin lids, for an example) with a layer of rubber between & riveted together. So will be a lot of work to recondition, for not much result, as im sure it still wont seal 100%.
    I might see if I can find some in a little better condition

I know the ones you're talking about, I've never looked into replacement parts, but surely worst come to worse use old one as a template to make new one with soft rubber

I would guess these vents are in bad shape as the van has sat for a long time, & they were stuck shut, when I tried to move them via the slide levers in the dash, the cables had broken.
    I don't think it will be hard to pull it apart to use as a template, I will see how I go, cheers

They are the direct access from the outside grill. My old man never used them slides and I remember the first time I used them heaps of leaves came out onto the floor. Yeah those cables can get bind up in their housing.

Received and fitted new aluminium one from kingswood country. Looks like a good product. The body of the radiator part was slightly thinner than original (few mms) , so it just took some bending of the holding bracket within the heater to hold it tight and stop potential annoying rattle.

Thread Information