Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non Sandman question re Belmont tailgate badge

P Plater

Non Sandman question re Belmont tailgate badge

Hi guys and gals,

I’ve recently discovered that I think my HQ should have a ‘Belmont’ badge on the tailgate (it’s also got an aftermarket replacement tailgate).

I’m trying to confirm the correct position of the badge. I’m hoping that someone will be able to share the measurements of how far in from the edge of the tailgate and how far up from the crease line the badge should be.

Also, is the tailgate Belmont badge the same as is on the front quarter panels?

I’ve got a HQ parts catalogue and also the complete workshop manuals (including the rare ute & panelvan volume) but still can get an answer to these questions.

Thanks in advance

This is the old girl in question...

What a pearler

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    What a pearler
    Thanks mate. Despite being very chalky, the old paint polished up quite nicely.

This is how it was found the day I picked her up (as found, where found before going into the trailer). Despite sitting for years, she started, drove out to the street and onto the trailer unaided).
    Last edited by Geopaj; 19-12-2020 at 09:52 PM.

The 3 Belmont badges on a HQ are the same badge. The tailgate badge is positioned on the drivers side about 50mm in from the (right) edge and about 100mm up from the fold body line. The approx measurements are to the position of the "T" in Belmont. I will see if I can get the pin measurements tomorrow if nobody else comes up with them beforehand.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    The 3 Belmont badges on a HQ are the same badge. The tailgate badge is positioned on the drivers side about 50mm in from the (right) edge and about 100mm up from the fold body line. The approx measurements are to the position of the "T" in Belmont. I will see if I can get the pin measurements tomorrow if nobody else comes up with them beforehand.
    Thanks mate. I’d really appreciate that.

Well, that was a dud! I though the gate on my Sandman was likely original with the holes either bogged or welded up. Nope! nothing under the paint so it is also a likely replacement tailgate. So I also would like the correct measurements for the pin hole locations off an original.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

P Plater
    Well, Murphy’s Law strikes again... I drove past this HQ ute parked on the side of the road yesterday so did a lap round the block and came back. I spent probably 6 months trying to solve this for myself before asking on the forum

It’s a Kingswood but I assume that the Holden would have used the same mounting holes for both Belmont and Kingswood.

Hopefully this helps you Innuendo, and also others in the future.

The ‘upright’ of the ‘d’ appears to be 30mm from the right hand edge of the tailgate.

Bottom edge of the silver strip lines up with the tailgate crease line. Look like the bottom of the font is 34-35mm above the crease line.

Quote Originally Posted by Geopaj View Post
    It’s a Kingswood but I assume that the Holden would have used the same mounting holes for both Belmont and Kingswood.
    From memory Belmont badges have 2 pins while Kingswood ones have 3 pins, that said I'm sure the badge positioning would be very similar in terms of the measurements to edge of tailgate etc.

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by AN5590 View Post
    From memory Belmont badges have 2 pins while Kingswood ones have 3 pins, that said I'm sure the badge positioning would be very similar in terms of the measurements to edge of tailgate etc.
    AN5590, a quick search of second hand badges on eBay confirms you are right!

Banned
    From the HQ service manual. No measurements sorry.

ACF699ED-1B5C-4C31-8386-E5E4F43B445C.jpeg

Thread Information