Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you say?

A fender is a fire guard rail that sits in the front of a fire place within a building.
    Actually it comes from de-fender which is similar to the way drawing room comes from withdraw-ing room.

By the way, HOLDEN the company has always called them Fenders. Every Holden parts manual refers to them as fenders. But being GM owned and influenced it's probably expected.
    That said, a Tailgate is an End Gate and a Boot Lid a Deck Lid and of course a Bonnet is a Hood according to the same manuals.

Which brings me to:

Have you noticed in sport that defence has become "dee-fence" Another Americanism.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

A GTS fender nah doesn’t work for me

Cruiser
    In the UK they call front guards 'wings'.

It could be that the guard/mudguard thing is uniquely Australian.

One of my pet hates with Americanisms is the word aluminum, where they have actually changed the spelling from aluminium & we (& the English) get called out for pronouncing it incorrectly. Go figure !!

Dr Terry

Chassis for us and Ch-as-ee for the yanks.

My favourite yankie term is Bondo watched to much Chip Foose
    Instead of bog

Quote Originally Posted by axistr View Post
    Chassis for us and Ch-as-ee for the yanks.
    I think you'll find our Victorian's like to say Chas-ee here in Australia. For me it's always been Chassis = Shas-ee

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    My favourite yankie term is Bondo watched to much Chip Foose
    Instead of bog
    Yeah, Bondo is a brand like Hoover is to a vacuum cleaner
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Banned
    There are so many differences in US/Canadian speech to ours. When me and my mate first looked for a car in Vancouver, we tried asking where there were some car yards (thinking of somewhere like Parramatta Road). All we got was blank looks. Eventually we worked out the problem, we needed to ask where there were some car lots.

I've been very lucky to work for an American company for about 5 years now and i'm super conscious of the word differences between our countries. I still get confused each day when reading date formats in emails and have to think about who the author is to interpret day/month or month/day. Also, I've become hijacked with the word route...I now say rowt rather than root...cant seem to go back the other way. I also got told off on the HQ-WB ute FB page for using the word garage instead of shed, apparently i need to hand in my Aussie card for that level of bad grammar...

Banned
    The Americans have some very strange ways of mangling the English language! From spelling changes like dropping u out of words like colour (look up why the Australian Labor party dropped the u out of labour to get the gist of it) to bizarre pronunciations of a name like Craig (Creg).
    Sadly so many are creeping into our language now. So many just use the American default spell checker that the word colour is now often color (even on this website!) and even the word mom is common.

Cruiser
    Getting closer to home, I often stunned at some of the different pronunciations between Melbourne & Sydney.

Probably my favourite is castle. Is it pronounced car-sel or Kassel. They have a town in Victoria called Castlemaine, I always get laughed at with my Sydney pronunciation.

I do know when you go to the UK it is car-sel.

Dr Terry

Thread Information