Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you say?

What do you say?

Have you noticed differences in the way the our world is going with the saying of words?

Do you say Depot (Dep-oh) or (De-poh)?
    What about Décor (Dec-or) or (Day-kor)?
    What is the plural of Roof? (Roofs or Rooves)?

I keep hearing words pronounced completely different to what I grew up with.

My old man pronounced Film as (Fil-um)
    Do some words just sh!t you? For me it's the word "Bespoke".
    We have differences between states and territories and then country to country and what with the influence of television and the internet.
    Noticed how nappies and more often now becoming diapers in Australia?

I know how to look up what is deemed correct etc. That's not the point of this - WHAT DO YOU SAY?
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

I was average at best, at school learning english, no interest other than getting through each day. But compared to people's use of english now, at least I can form a sentence!

I have no idea what "bespoke" is or means.

One of my pet hates is people that don't use "to" or "too" correctly, mainly because of how easy it is to differentiate between the "two".

If you order a mudguard for a current model car from dealer parts, you will receive what I would call a "mudflap" & sometimes "guard liner". If you want a mudguard now, you have to ask for a fender!
    Just recently, an apprentice at work, described a vehicle (wagon) as a "longroof". My response was to walk away!

I just roll my eyes & say "I'm too old for this shit"

My pet hate wagons being called longroofs {yes i know first world problems }
    We are becoming americanised more and more every day

Fender thats a guitar in my books
    Im with you Max whens the next train leave for the new planet ��

One more to add Styleside ffs its a one ton tray back
    Last edited by Valencia; 03-01-2021 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxsandman View Post
    I was average at best, at school learning english, no interest other than getting through each day. But compared to people's use of english now, at least I can form a sentence!
    I completed 7 months of high school. I admit it was 3 forms/years in that 7 months. I left 2 months shy of legal age. I gave them a chance to catch me but they didn't!
    I have no idea what "bespoke" is or means.
    It is a term for "Taylor made to measure" or "Custom made" but with a wankers twist.
    If you order a mudguard for a current model car from dealer parts, you will receive what I would call a "mudflap" & sometimes "guard liner". If you want a mudguard now, you have to ask for a fender!
    Just recently, an apprentice at work, described a vehicle (wagon) as a "longroof". My response was to walk away!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    My pet hate wagons being called longroofs {yes i know first world problems }
    We are becoming americanised more and more every day
    Yep, millennial speech! Longroof and skid (for burnout) more dumb ass speak. I think I told you once before about the insurance claim woman on the phone couldn't work out what a front guard was, fender, mudguard. Answer front 1/4 panel! WTF?
    Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    One more to add Styleside ffs its a one ton tray back
    Yep, Tonner or Ute. Tray or Tub
    Selling HJ 253 Engine

Banned
    Styleside is so annoying. Ute, van or one tonner. Styleside has only crept in because everyone started calling one tonners utes, and now newer generations had to invent a new name for actual utes.
    My kids have started using windshield, trunk etc. Thry are so influenced by all things American these days it’s hard for Australian language to survive.
    One that really gets my goat is primary pronounced as pri-Mary. Actually nearly all words that end in ary are pronounced this way now. Same as territory, pronounced Terri-Tory.

Filum, love it!! I got relations from the South Coast Nsw who say it that way too. You know the Monaro (Mon Air Oh) district

What grinds my gears is the covered area behind the house it's a pergola, not a bloody (per-goat-ter). or the garage, not (gar- age).
    Last edited by Valencia; 03-01-2021 at 11:24 PM.

In car speak, I've noticed that blower is not often recognised anymore, it seems to just be supercharger now.

Speaking of American, i got a good lesson on how we sound from an American colleague once. He pointed out that i wasn't saying the letter 'r' and when i disagreed, we did an exercise using the word 'beer'. He was correct, i say 'be-ah' and cant easily force a hard r at the end of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    Filum, love it!! I got relations from the South Coast Nsw who say it that way too. You know the Monaro (Mon Air Oh) district
    The old man was Armidale then Sydney and then South Coast so guess that's where he watched his filums. Mon-air-oh is supposedly correct. Mon-ar-oh stuck!

Quote Originally Posted by axistr View Post
    What grinds my gears is the covered area behind the house it's a pergola, not a bloody (per-goat-ter). or the garage, not (gar- age).
    Per-gol-a vs pur-guh-luh I here this on USA TV shows. I have not heard Per-goat-ter. But maybe a pagoda "puh-goh-duh"

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    In car speak, I've noticed that blower is not often recognised anymore, it seems to just be supercharger now.
    I hadn't noticed, but I will be listening for that now.

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    I ..... we did an exercise using the word 'beer'. He was correct, i say 'be-ah' and cant easily force a hard r at the end of the word.
    I have noticed that with Victorian's with the word "here" they (maybe not all) say "he-ah" where as I'd say "h-ear".
    Selling HJ 253 Engine

Some tv people refer to Bathurst as Bath-hurst? I’ve only ever known it as Bathurst. Apparently the lounge I sit on to watch tv is now called a couch? Another Americanism.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Thread Information