Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Deal

I'm sure H.S.S. don't have records for late HZ, but would still be worth asking Ben his opinion, he would give you some light on the ZT engine prefix. I know ZT came in after June 78, but I don't know which plants used that engine prefix first etc, or if was implemented as the QTs ran out. I have had more HZs with Q engine prefixes than Z, but that could just be luck of the draw.

In my opinion, there would be a slim chance it's got the original spare wheel winch cup, as these got removed, changed & the cable broke over the years. Being 79 model, it would've had the alloy wheels from factory, & these were changed early in life very often & the spare wheel winch cap was quite different to the one for standard wheels.

Back in the day, most people didn't know there was different cups for different wheels, I had a HZ with 8" mags, & when I saw the spare was a GR78 on a standard rim, (it was around 6 inches taller than the mag with the old style nylon belted, square shoulder tyres on it) I bought a widened steel rim & tyre for the spare. I remember it was harder to get the wheel on the winch, than the tonners or ute one I had, so half the time I drove it round with no spare. Also, when the winch cable broke, you just went to the wreckers for another one, not caring what it was originally off, too busy cruising & enjoying life to notice it wasn't the same!

Learner Driver
    Right, not sure what I was looking for in regards to the fuse box, so I have taken a pic of area mentioned.
    I have also taken one under the bumper and it looks like there was a front spoiler fitted at some stage but again was not sure what the cut out looks like.
    Now the bloody wheel carrier winch is jammed and I couldn't release, I have loaded with WD40 will give another go later today. I took a photo of the back of the rim and its definitely alloy not to sure if anyone can ID if it's an actual N67 wheel, I'll let the experts have a crack at that Also a picture of the drivers side mirror menrioned last.

Enjoy, looking forward to any feedback. Cheers!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Pulled the seat covers and dash mat today and all look still in great condition check out pics belowimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Learner Driver
    This is the only thing I could find on unique cars and part regarding the motor, not sure if this sheds any more light???.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The spare looks to be n67 rim. What is date code on the engine block just near the little clock between the head and timing case?

Rim is a N67 Alloy and the winch cup for that wheel is correct.
    Based on what we know so far it does look like it's a XU3 Sandman.
    Door mirror is correct also.

Chassis number match the tag?
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Isnt there also a different number for sandmans on the tyre rating chart in the glovebox?

Banned
    In the genuine HZ Sandman wiring harness, there is a fuse holder for the extra lights in the twin headlight front. It should be near the booster on the firewall. I can’t see it with that photo. It may have been removed, but if it’s still there then it’s a strong indication. Not the relays on the inner guard.

Learner Driver
    Howdy all!

Appreciate all the knowledge and feed back so far its been great, cheers��!!!

Please see today's finding below.

1. So I manage to free up the winch and drop the wheel, please below pics front and back, looks like an old commodore rim from a VB SLE.
    2. Attached is the tyre place card from inside the glove box if this sheds anymore light.
    3. Chassis number is matching.
    4. In regards to the ZT engine number is it possible to match this to the car, my research tells me that the year/era matches late model HZ.

Thanks and Enjoy
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

They are the similar as Commodore but different stud pattern

This is not scientific but my gut says this yours is a sandman, or someone has gone to elaborate lengths to pass it off. And who the F would put that rim in spare?

Thread Information