Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Deal

Learner Driver

Thumbs up Real Deal

Hi,
    I'm a newbie to the forum so thanks for having me.

I was hoping to get some assistance in determining if my HZ PV is the real deal or not. I understand this would be a common request but felt it would be beneficial to pull on the experienced resource within this forum.
    Everything I have researched so far tells me it is, the main one I'm struggling with is the engine and if it's actually the original donk or not?

Here is my story.

Close to 20 years ago I purchased a 1979 HZ Sandman in Currumbin QLD as a 2nd get around whilst me and then GF now wife were traveling Australia. I spent 4K at the time on a quick tidy up to get her back on the road.
    We returned home (Melbourne) in 2002 where I used It for a short period before it was garaged with a plan to retore properly some time in the future.

2007 come around again and the travel work bug took hold and we left again. Now 14 years have passed and with a couple of kids in tow we have finally returned.
    With restoring her being on my mind for sometime I was driven to understand if she was actually the real deal or not before I poured shit loads of money into it.

Please see below info
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Your assistance is appreciated.

For it to be a Sandman it would have to be an XU3 as the 1979 XX7 Sandman's were 2000kg
    What other things other than the tags can you tell or show us that might point to it being a Sandman.

Should have console mounts, black door handles (never chromed), body black outs, spare wheel winch cup for either N66 or N67 wheels which differ from standard steel road wheels.

Malachite Green, Buckskin trim, 308, 4 Speed all good pointers for a Sandman but not proof enough!
    Last edited by Innuendo; 09-01-2021 at 10:51 PM.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Learner Driver
    Hey thanks for the response, I will check the winch cup out tomorrow.

Please below pics

1.Green paint work
    2. Buckskin interior
    3. 308/M21
    4. Full headlining
    5. Engine number starts with ZT

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Learner Driver
    I found 2 pictures from when I 1st got her. The quality is not great as I took them on iphone from a photo album.
    Definitely had blacked out door surrounds and blacked door handles.

Apologies for the qualityimage.jpgimage.jpg

Looks the goods to me, has it got holes cutout in the apron for spoiler under front bumper?

Welcome to the site!

Learner Driver
    Thanks pal!

I will check it out tomorrow and revert back in the evening sometime.

To much good stuff on that not to be a Sandman
    But you never know with these old jiggers

Just observations looking at your photos.

Stripes are not original Holden.
    Door mirrors not original GM Lukey sports.
    Factory would have had those god awful alloy N67 wheels (and should winch cup to match).

Looks to have had all the usual mods of the day. Wagon roof rack, sill plate covers, driving/fog lights, changed wheels, tar babies, Pioneer auto reverse tape deck, big arse under dash knee freezer etc.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Learner Driver
    Yes you are correct about the decals, I replace them when I did the tidy up 20 year ago as I did a bare metal respray.
    Also when I was cleaning her out the other day I found a drivers side door mirror the same colour which was a surprise, don't know if this is the original but will take some pics today and see what you guys think. I will also check out the spare wheel winch cup.

Banned
    Check for the fuse holder near the brake booster for the front wiring harness. Tis was unique for HZ Sandman.
    Do a HSS report. Hopefully it’s in their records.
    Hard to know otherwise as everything else was optional on any van, including the full headlining. Also, does the chassis number match??

Thread Information