Thread: AC Blower fan noise

P Plater

AC Blower fan noise

I have just finished getting my stock HZ aircon up and running. It works well but the blower fan is noisy. There are a couple of clips on the plastic blades, are these used for ''tuning''? Alternatively is there a bearing in there to grease? I had it rewound. I tried tightening the nut on the van but no good. Any help would be appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Make that tried to tighten the nut on the fan.

P Plater
    There is an accessible bush behind the fan (that can be lubricated) but I believe the electric motor can't be pulled apart .

Hey Dawso. I had a similar problem several years ago and stripped the fan motor to address a squealing noise. After some research, i ended up buying a brand new matching old school GM fan motor from the US as they are still made. The company was called Old Air Products and the fan was a '20-0105 Blower Motor, 78-82 All with Factory Air'. At the time, the fan was only US$43.50 + shipping. Hope it helps, cheers

P Plater
    Thanks that's a good lead and my next option. I have already invested in refurbishing what I have i.e.rewind and switching so I'm going to give it back to the tech to pull down and do what he probably should have done in the first place. I thought that maybe the random clips on the blades had something to do with balancing the fan.

Banned
    I gave up with mine and found a different one that was quiet.

P Plater
    An update on the AC blower, the tech replaced the bearing and it runs like a new one. I was lucky in that my particular blower had half a dozen tabs on the front, bend the tabs and you have access to the motor. I notice that on other blowers they don't have tabs, more often a riveted setup making it difficult to access. The whole stock AC deal has proven to be a bit of a drama and I'm almost there. FYI the weak link is the controller i.e. the vac actuators (2 off) fail, the switching (2 off) fail and the blower switch fails but that's part of the journey. Thanks for the replies.

- - - Updated - - -

I still have no idea what those random clips on the fan blades are for, anyone got any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawso View Post
    I still have no idea what those random clips on the fan blades are for, anyone got any ideas?
    Are they the slide on type with sharp points? If so, I believe they are balancing weights.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

P Plater
    Yes thin metal clips, no weights on them, not on mine anyway. They weigh hardly nothing on their own. I did try tuning with them i.e. moving them up and down but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawso View Post
    Yes thin metal clips, no weights on them, not on mine anyway. They weigh hardly nothing on their own. I did try tuning with them i.e. moving them up and down but it didn't seem to make any difference.
    I believe they are the weights. Just to balance the spinning fan. Don't know 100% percent but was told this many years ago when we use to disassemble heater fans for chroming.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Thread Information