Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panelvan Side Supports

A previous owner had put a chev in the van in the 80s or early 90s. He left the 253 in the yard, when I found this guy it had been sitting about 10 years. The bores are really rusted up and the pistons like that white caked up look. Cant move (or remove) a thing from the bottom end

If its the numbers matching engine for that van, then I reckon it would be a worthy project to just save the block and soft seal it for preservation. If it were me, i'd probably throw it in a tank of diesel for a few weeks and see if things free up for piston and crank removal. Cheers

The engine number and date fits for being correct engine and I have an old rego paper with it on it. I will be getting a certificate from hhs shortly so they will probably confirm my belief one way or the other.

[QUOTE=
    I am going similar route to you Brett, are you happy with the products used for filling etc (besides being a lot of hard work). I don't have wheel, so I'll be marking out the panels and getting a shop to roll the edges for me, you just use 1mm old rolled steel?[/QUOTE]

Yes I am happy with what I have done and used so far. My project has ground to a halt as the van is in my sons garage which has no room and I am still waiting for my new workshop build to start. Hopefully the building permit get issued next week.
    What I would say is if you are bonding in the panels by yourself then add a couple of holes so you add long screws to act as a handle whilst you bond and screw in the panels. Yes I used 1mm zinc anneal sheet.

Thread Information