Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HJ Kinswood Absynth Ute

Question HJ Kinswood Absynth Ute

Hi Sandmen,

What do you make of these tags on my ute?

I'm interested in opinions about Kingswood only or Kingswood Sandman?
    4/75 HJ COUPE UTILITY
    BHJ11458B
    2200KG
    SEATING CAP 2
    HJ8WN80
    1886 18V
    568 15949
    L31
    M21
    GV4

The car has black out overspray on floor pan sections under carpet, B pillar trim from hood lining to floor, brown taco wire through firewall plug to GTS dash. Dash pad and glovebox have been changed to Statesman sometime ago and the original engine and box long gone. The rear tray and wheel arches are in excellent condition suggesting it was not a work ute. I've had the car for over 10 years and am at the point of restoration where I put it out there to see if it is a 308 4 speed Kingswood or one of those Kingswood Sandman utes I've heard of, I'm happy with it being either, I just want to restore to original, so looking for opinions as I've had blokes tell me it could be both. Also would it have had a 'single vent' dash system or dual vent? The car was ordered new by Fair Deal Car Sales Parramatta and built in Brisbane.

Thanks,

Jonno.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jonathon Wheatley; 02-07-2021 at 02:04 PM.

Hi Jonathon,
    I'd say definitely not a sandman, being Brisbane Built a sandman would have had XX7 on the plate (which yours doesn't). It would be super rare to find a sandman were this detail was missed by the factory (although it apparently did happen). Upside is you have a very desirable vehicle optioned with the best driveline (in my opinion)

As far as the vents, your era kingswood came standard with the 2 outside vents, one each side of the dash near the doors. Unless it was optioned with air con or forced air..

Defiantly good colour and drive line combo for a resto they are to climbing in value
    Done right will fetch good $$$$

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a standard dash for it, thanks again I'll use that one.

Banned
    No reason not to use a GTS dash. Every chance it has one from new anyway.

Yeah good call, I have the GTS dash for it (was in it when I got it) and the GTS wheels and pretty much everything, it's my second V8 manual ute build and I like the Sandman look.
    All I need is a 4 barrel air cleaner to complete the original look. Thanks WB.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    No reason not to use a GTS dash. Every chance it has one from new anyway.
    I think he was talking the 2 vent vs the 3 vent dash pad.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Wheatley View Post
    Yeah good call, I have the GTS dash for it (was in it when I got it) and the GTS wheels and pretty much everything, it's my second V8 manual ute build and I like the Sandman look.
    All I need is a 4 barrel air cleaner to complete the original look. Thanks WB.
    Will be a nice Ute. Strange that some Kingswood got optioned the same as Sandman. I guess they just took what was on the dealers yard.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Will be a nice Ute. Strange that some Kingswood got optioned the same as Sandman. I guess they just took what was on the dealers yard.
    The reason for this was that back in the day insurance for a Sandman or a Monaro was almost double the price of a Kingswood or Belmont be it a sedan, ute or van.
    That's why there are so many optioned up examples around.
    No one gave two hoots if it was the real deal or not. Same issue with Toranas.

Thread Information