Thread: Brought home my first car yesterday HX "Sandman" Panelvan

Learner Driver

Brought home my first car yesterday HX "Sandman" Panelvan

Hey Guys,
    mine is not technically a Sandman as per the numbers but it came with Sandman stickers (Not HX correct as per photos). Will it be welcome here regardless? Is there another online forum more appropriate?

I bought this from a mate from Highschool when I was 18 in 2002. He replaced the 202 and put the 186 in it before I bought it.
    As my first car I loved it. I ended up replacing the Aussie 4 speed with a Supra 5 speed kit from Mal Wood.
    It was my daily for quite a while until I retired it down the coast at my mums place, where it sat for over a decade until yesterday. I flushed the radiator, did an oil change, checked the brakes and stuff and off it went!
    I had a brilliant drive for almost 2 hours until the Banjo Diff let go on the way up the Clyde.. I suppose some oil leaked out over the years.. something I should have checked before I left I suppose!
    After two rides with kind strangers to find phone reception I had a tow truck come and pick us up to complete the final leg home.

Short term plan is to give it a major service and fix up all the things that don't work right (Window rollers, brakes, wipers) and stop the rust progressing anymore. Long term I plan to restore it to how I got it pretty much, keeping the same 186. But the body isn't in amazing shape. Every panel is dented at least a bit and there is a section of gutter that is almost gone. I was T boned on the rear left back in the day and my dad (RIP) and I did the worst bog job imaginable on it. I almost clipped a roo on the front right bending the bumper, front and GTS guard.
    I do have a second van (Purple) I bought for cheap years ago and it has been stored away in a shed with a better body. Pretty sure it isn't a sandman either but now I think about it; I can't remember if I ever checked. I plan to do custom work to that one and chase some HP.

P_20210131_173832 (2).jpg

Back in 2003:
    1977 Holden HX Sandman Panelvan.JPG

All vans are welcome here mate and plenty of help and info if needed
    Cheers G.

Learner Driver
    Good news, thanks

I'm planning on taking a road trip with the family up to Van Nats this year. I won't be bringing a Van myself; but I am excited to attend for the first time!

Thread Information