Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTS INSTRUMENTS At my whits end!

Learner Driver

Unhappy GTS INSTRUMENTS At my whits end!

Hey all! New here but been surfing for ages, so my hz one tonner built is 13 years in the making and it come crunch time for installing the instruments.
    So turns out I have a HZ body and chassis, HX body harness and late HJ gts dash.
    So I've found out the hard way that the 3 don't work together as the wiring is different and also the speedo, and some bulb locations. Obviously the easiest option would be to get a hx dash but I'm not in a position to do so.

So what are my options? Is it possible to get the hj gts dash assembled to work with the hx body harness amd dash facias and if so what's involved?

I didn't realise that there was such a difference to cause a problem. Maybe the warning lights different? What specifically have you found to be the trouble?

- - - Updated - - -

In any model the GTS/sandman loom is different to standard but this can be worked around

Learner Driver
    So what I've found is that the entire pinout in the connectors are different..so the circuits are all different and won't marry up. I was starting to think whether I'm better off to de pin the dash loom and place them in the correct locations and add a connector or 2 if needed but not sure if it's that simple.

Cruiser
    If you're referring to the 11-pin flat connector where the instrument harness joins the body harness, this did not change except for the additional yellow wire for the handbrake light. In the HJ this spot was vacant. The other 10-pins are the same colour & in the same position.

I've swapped many complete clusters between HJ, HX, HZ & even WB ute models, standard & GTS, they all worked.

Dr Terry

Learner Driver
    I thought there were more differences in the wiring connector I might have to refer back to the service manual and wiring diagrams because that yellow wire that you speak up is the wire of concern

Cruiser
    In the HJ series the brake fail & handbrake shared the same warning light & therefore only needed a single wire. This is the tan wire at position 'H' in the 11-pin plug. Pin 'J' was vacant in HJ.

For HX-WB they had 2 separate lights so the tan wire (pin 'H') was used for the brake fail light & they added a new yellow wire to pin 'J' for the handbrake light.

If you're using an HJ cluster in a later car just join the 2 wires together in your body harness & connect at pin 'H'.

Dr Terry

Banned
    There should be no difference between the late HJ speedo and the HX speedo either.

20211115_201147.jpg
    HZ

20211115_201230.jpg
    HX

20211115_201307.jpg
    I thought this was HJ, but has a brown wire in "J" so Im not sure

Cruiser
    Any of the 11-pin plugs where all 11 of the pins are used will suit the dual brake light set up. As I said for HJ pin 'J' will be vacant.

It is interesting that in some of the those pics, pin 'H' has a brown wire & for some its almost pink. Both HX & HZ wiring schematics list it as 'tan'.

This might have changed when they went from the single pin brake fail switch to the 2-pin version (around March/April 77). Either way this makes no difference to the dashboard wiring.

Dr Terry

Just curious if anyone has seen the GTS dash wiring harness being reproduced at all?
    I'm guessing not by the price being asked for them 2nd hand.

Thread Information