Thread: WB air conditioning

Learner Driver

WB air conditioning

Hi All,
    Just had a look at a A/C in a WB ute. I think it is a type of factory setup. It is not the factory setup where it has the different heater box in the engine bay. It had a standard heater box, sanden style compressor. In side the ute half the glove box was missing, other than that it was very well concealed behind the dash. Anyone know anything about this setup.
    Thanks

This was a dealer fitted accessory.

I think beside the half Glove box, it works well.

I'm sure there's some threads & posts on this site regarding this style of A/C

Learner Driver
    I have looked at a few threads and found a picture of the set up. I am guessing this setup will be hard to find. So i am thinking about making one either with steel and insulating it or maybe fibreglass. Just need to know the most efficient type of evaporator that is out there at the moment. I am interested in this as I have installed a vintage air(mini)in a hz ute and wasn't impressed with its performance in western Qld. So any help is appreciated.20150208_081125_zpsrhtlbeyo.jpg

Hey Willo68. I have reinstated a WB factory A/C in a ute and learned a fair bit along the way. So if it helps... the biggest things for me are... use a modern Sanden compressor (the old AC Delco GM units cant guarantee to hold their gas in), install a pressure cut off switch so if gas is lost, then the compressor shuts down...and get rid of the old Holden A/C fan and put a bigger unit up front with a good cowl to move air across the condensor better.

Also look for the 1% wins like cleaning and combing the condensor fins, sealing up holes or gaps that can let hot air in or anything that limits air flow in the cabin (bad airbox flaps or controls etc).

My A/C and rad shop use a small after market modern evaporator box in their WB ute and it tucks up under the dashboard. Might be something to consider rather than the original in cabin option?

Other than all that, i've been able to make the cabin 'colder than a mother in laws kiss' during summer days, so it can work out really well. Cheers

Learner Driver
    Would be interested in the aftermarket setup they are using.Looked at another WB today that had a very tidy set up.It bolted up where the plate is for the two flexible hoses. The hoses are for the centre two vents.It had 3 vertical outlets and one horizontal going to the drivers side vent.It was just two neat a fit to be aftermarket. The glove box wasn't touched. would be interesting to find out more about these setups.

Thread Information