Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailshaft

Tailshaft

I have read on another forum that you can use a sedan tail shaft when you fit a Turbo 700 to a van. To date I have thought I would need to get the old tail shaft shortened to suit so the idea of a sedan part has a bit of appeal. Can I assume that there where only 2 types of shaft a 6 cylinder and V8 tailshaft with the yokes and uni joints changed to suit which ever transmission and diff where fitted? Or do I need find a V8 sedan tail shaft that cam out of a Turbo 350/400 equiped sedan?

Sandman Guru
    TH400 shaft is shorter than the other transmissions for the same wheelbase. I'll have to check when near my books, but from memory the closest for a 4L60/TH700 will be a HJ to HZ TH400 shaft from wagon, Statesman, ute or van with the front yoke replaced with a 1-tonner yoke as these have the bigger front uni to match to the TH400 shaft but use the same splines as a TH700. I don't think it is an exact correct length though.

I am taking the Turbo350 out of the van and putting back in the M21. I know the T400 tailshaft is different but does the T350 use the original HQ Manual tailshaft?

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    Yes if it is an original HZ/HZ/VB/VC TH350.

Banned
    They introduced two new length shafts in HJ. These were only for the Turbo 400 though. That's out of the HJ service manual.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Yes if it is an original HZ/HZ/VB/VC TH350.
    Cool that will make life easier. It looks like the white coated one Scott had documented for the HQ SS so I'm hopeful its the original. I think the cross-member is the same as well.

Ill put everything else for the T350 on a pallet and find someone who wants it.

I still have to workout how the rat-trap goes in. I supposedly have one from a HQ V8 here in a box.

Mauser
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    There was three in HJ that were new, all TH400:

Sedan/coupe.
    Ute/van/wagon/statesman.
    Cab-chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    They introduced two new length shafts in HJ. These were only for the Turbo 400 though. That's out of the HJ service manual.
    Definitely a Turbo350. My engine block has an adapter plate to make it fit the auto so I'm assuming rear bell-housing pattern is for the manual.

Mauser

Banned
    image.jpg
    Just going from this information. It says two. Long wheelbase and short.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Cool that will make life easier. It looks like the white coated one Scott had documented for the HQ SS so I'm hopeful its the original. I think the cross-member is the same as well.

Ill put everything else for the T350 on a pallet and find someone who wants it.

I still have to workout how the rat-trap goes in. I supposedly have one from a HQ V8 here in a box.

Mauser
    HQ van won't be the same as HQ SS, it will be longer. HQ SS shaft is just a normal white HQ-HZ V8 sedan or coupe tailshaft for any gearbox except TH400.

Crossmember for TH350 is different to trimatic/3spd/4spd, and also different to a passenger vehicle one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    image.jpg
    Just going from this information. It says two. Long wheelbase and short.
    They've not published it for the L31 tonner as it wasn't available in that form until after initial HJ release.

Thread Information